Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just been prescribed Amitriptyline

Re: Just been prescribed Amitriptyline

It's early days Aaron,

And you are on a small starter dose. I took 10mg for 2 weeks, then 20mg for 2 weeks. I am now on my 3rd day of 25mg. I am now feeling the benefits much more, so stick with it.

Thanks CharlieM

I wonder if my GP is planning on increasing my dose though, she didn't mention anything about increasing, and actually didn't mention anything about booking another appointment to see her.

I will book another appointment though and ask her.

One thing though, with this higher dose, do you just take two 10mg tablets? And then two and a half? Or is there another tablet that is then a 20mg and a 25mg?

On the label on my box of Amitriptyline, it does say one OR two tablets to be taken a night.

Should I take two after say a couple of weeks?

The 20mg meant I had to take 2 tabs of 10mg. The next size up is 25mg, which I am now taking one of each night an hour before bed.

I think they then do 30, 40, 50 and 75 after that.

You need to ask your GP if you want to up it - at least I did.

They come in 10,25,50,75,100,150mg

Hi Everyone,

So I've been on Amitriptyline for just over a couple of weeks now and have had a very welcome break from the tension and headaches. I have also felt a lot more calm, and feel happier as a result.

However, in the last five days or so, I have had a slight return of the headaches. Only a little, and nowhere near as bad as what I had previously. And one dose of paracetamol wiped it out.

Last night though, and today, I have experienced more of a head ache. To the point that today I thought it was a migraine and as I'm writing this still have the head ache. I have taken two doses of paracetamol and unfortunately still feeling the ache, although it does respond to the paracetamol a bit.

So I wondered if tonight would be a good time to maybe try two tablets? As I have only been taking 10mg per night. Or maybe a tablet and a half?

This tablet has certainly put my mind at rest about any horrible things like brain tumours and the like, as my GP and Osteopath have both been telling me lots and lots that they are sure it isn't anything like that, and just tension. And the fact that just the 10mg per night so far has knocked the head aches out for a good amount of time reinforces that I should think.

Just to add, on the box it says 'one or two tablets per night', so my GP is fine for me to use two if required.

Is it time to up the dose? Or just see if the headaches go away again and stick to 10mg?

I do sleep a lot better too.

Aaron,

Def worth going to 20mg, as long as your GP ok with it. I am now on 25mg and doing brilliantly.

My pain has all but gone and my mood is great. Sleeping well and no nasty side effects. 20mg is a very small dose and you may eventually end up on as much as 50mg in the future.

It's a miracle drug as far as I am concerned

Charlie

Thanks CharlieM,

I have work earlyish tomorrow and I'm a driving Instructor so I will try one and a half tonight and then two tablets tomorrow.

It's so nice to hear other positive experiences with this drug, I too feel it has helped me so much in such a short amount of time.

A couple of mental notes I've taken over the last couple of weeks where I've noticed a change have been truly encouraging.

I went to my local Harvester restaurant and fully intended to get a take away as I don't like sitting and eating around other people (anxiety), and the restaurant was very quiet and normally I would still say no I'm not eating in but on that day I did and was absolutely fine.

When I take my pupils for test I am normally very nervous and almost shaking whilst they wait for their examiner, which is silly as it's obviously not even me taking the test! Since starting on Ami though, I've been so much more calm and relaxed.

I was so sure that the vast majority of my anxiety has been because of my headaches etc. And feel so much better since starting this drug.

I'll take the slightly higher dose tonight and report back.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear the amitriptyline is helping you. I was put on it for pain and my doctor wanted me on 50-75mg for nerve pain as apparently that is the dose that works best.

I started on 10mg and worked up, I found around the 50mg area it definitely started making me feel chilled out and quite 'steady' mentally

My main issue with it at higher doses was increased hunger and weight gain.... 14lbs+ over 6 months or so. I don't know if that is all down to increased appetite or if the drug actually slows your metabolism down as well.... just be aware with it, AMI is not a good drug for those who have weight problems!

edit:
    It comes in 10mg and 25mg pills so the dosage can really be tweaked slowly if necessary. I came down on it due to the weight gain and when I started reducing the dosages I didn't get the 'brain zaps' like I have got previously with SSRI or SNRI antidepressants.

Overall I think it is a very good medication for anxiety.... I don't know why it isn't used more because in my experience the medications doctors like to use are the SSRIs like prozac,sertraline,paroxetine and so on, all have an activating effect which can make anxiety worse! Amittripyline sedates you more which is nice if you are anxious.

Thanks yenool,

I seem to have hit a bit of an obstacle. The tension is back :(

Today I have been experiencing pressure at the back of my head and neck and at the base of my skull. Typical tension headache.

Is this normal? Am I getting used to the 10mg hence the return and I just need to up the dose? I'm worried that the Ami won't work and I'll be back to suffering everyday again.

Has anyone else started ami and then seen a return of pain? Do I just need to up my dose in order to find the 'right' dose for me?

And just to add, regarding the weight gain, I'm 6 foot tall and am only just hitting 11 stone on the scale, so I could do with a little gain I should think. I'm starting an exercise plan too.

You may need to up our dose, talk it through with doc is best.
    I never gained weight, and I took amit for 11 yrs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information