Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facing appointments

Facing appointments

How do those of you with agoraphobia cope with appointments?

I had agoraphobia for a while 3 years ago after i was attacked. I worked hard and over came it after a year or so. Then last winter I became very ill physically and I ended up bed ridden for a long time. It turned out I had a very underactive thyroid and CFS. I am still working on my health now, but have started thyroxine and slowly gaining some energy back. With it my anxiety and agoraphobia hit again, as well as a loss of confidence.

Now I am back to being fearful of appointments because I had a huge panic attack at a blood test in the nurses room when my ill health started and now I find it too hard to face blood tests. I need a blood test for a yearly check and can't bring myself to go, my GP would come to my house but I can't seem to face that either incase I panic infront of him and show myself up and panic that bad infront of him like in the nurses room.

I live in fear of ever needing to go into hospital or for a scan or something. I need to overcome this as I am human and at times we need apppointments and I can't ignore them forever but I can't seem to face them like I did last time. Since being ill I have avoided them at all costs and my GP has had to come to my house as I was so ill physically, which he hasn't minded doing but I feel a total idiot but I don't seem to have the strength I had last time to face it. Back then I just had panic attacks to worry about, now having a physical illness and weakness that effects me going out and gives me a lot of fear of going anywhere incase I feel weak and ill out and about which puts me off appointments even more.

I just wondered if anyone else struggles like this and how do you cope with it.

B

Re: Facing appointments

I struggle. A lot. And sometimes I ring to cancel and then feel bad for wasting their time but generally I find that with healthcare professionals that they've seen it all before.
    I get embarrassed, but I laugh it off and say 'you must think I'm daft' and usually they're really kind.

Hi Margaret

Well done you for going that is amazing. I used to cry sometimes that I'd even made it and they'd say I did amazing coming to the surgery, which helped lol!

B

Quote Originally Posted by MargaretHale View Post
    I struggle. A lot. And sometimes I ring to cancel and then feel bad for wasting their time but generally I find that with healthcare professionals that they've seen it all before.
    I get embarrassed, but I laugh it off and say 'you must think I'm daft' and usually they're really kind.

It is quite hard, i guess sometimes i'm in that position where if something really concerns me then i wouldn't hesitate to go, blood tests however are still a struggle for me, they always seem to be really painful for me afterwards(or maybe i'm just a wimp haha) i have one tuesday and i am terrified of passing out x

at my last doctors appointment was just a shaking panicky mess but because it wasn't too long I could just white knuckle through it.

unfortunately I cant seem to even get to therapy without a diazepam since im out an hour and a half or so.

I completely understand your anxiety about facing appointments, the anticipatory anxiety with agoraphobia about not making to the actual surgery, then waiting, then the actual blood test, and all this under the added pressure of trying to keep a level head and 'normal' demeanour. It is very hard.

Bottom line, (as you say yourself) is that you have to get these medical tests done for your thyroid, and in the future, who knows what? So you do have to be able to attend appointments.

If things are so bad for you, a GP or nurse can come to your home to take blood. As can a dentist. I truly appreciate your fear of becoming hysterical in front of them. I have that fear too. But these blood tests must be done. So, ultimately you have little choice.

Do you have any meds you can take to help you get there. Or to keep you calm on a home visit?
    Relaxing CDs. Crossword puzzles, distraction methods?

I have been agoraphobic for years too and the ONLY thing that has worked for me is exposure therapy. It is my opinion, because you have physical health issues, exposure therapy would help you by graded exposure. Get a referral from your GP to your local mental health team. Best of luck x

I can totally relate to what you've described here. I'm actually due for a doctors appointment at 17:00, in half an hours time. It's dark outside and I have problems going out in the daytime yet alone at night so fair to say I am pretty scared right now.

I find that the best way to deal with it personally is to distract yourself as much as possible. Counting your steps or counting the number of green objects you can see in the room for example. It is very difficult though as I always end up feeling light headed or as if everything in the room is not real or that I'm in a dream, maybe you can relate to that?

Sometimes it's not possible to distract yourself though, those are the bad days. Stay strong and just remind yourself that you're coping with an illness that would cripple most, we are stronger than you think. Good luck!

I really like the idea you gave about counting green things or steps. I tend to focus on how I feel and focusing really hard on destination goals, staying calm, and mental coaching. Perhaps some distracting would do well too, so thank you! I will try it the next time I head out

Appointments with dentist, d read them, I still go to the dentist but I ge frigten of how many teeth look, being judge. I dont like needles, those sharp objects

I also dont like going for hospital checkups have NF so sometimes I have blood tests and have to do a 24 wee collection

You're welcome! Anything that takes your mind off of the scenario or how you feel physically should help, shift your thinking from internal to external.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information