Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fluoxetine so far

Re: Fluoxetine so far

Oh ok thanks panic down under.

I feel like I'm getting new symptoms of anxiety this week which iv never had before like really tense muscles in my legs do you think this is to do with the side effects.

Also I wanted some advise on relaxation. I have a cd from a NHS therapist but I have not been doing it because I'm am effected by anxiety and depression all mentally (negative thoughts, worries and constant questioning things) I thought how will this help reduce it surely it will only help physically but I don't really get and physical symptoms if you get what I mean.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avm View Post
    I feel like I'm getting new symptoms of anxiety this week which iv never had before like really tense muscles in my legs do you think this is to do with the side effects.
    Muscle stiffness is a listed fluoxetine side-effect as are muscle pain and twitching.

I have a cd from a NHS therapist but I have not been doing it because I'm am effected by anxiety and depression all mentally (negative thoughts, worries and constant questioning things) I thought how will this help reduce it surely it will only help physically but I don't really get and physical symptoms if you get what I mean.
    Relax the body and the mind will often follow. It is only a manifestation of a body part, the brain.

i need to give it a go then I think.

Not sure if you have read my whole story panic down under but when I move back to my house will the fluoxetine help with every time I hear a bang or thud from next door it makes me feel sick, tense, on edge.

but when I move back to my house will the fluoxetine help with every time I hear a bang or thud from next door it makes me feel sick, tense, on edge.
    I guess that depends on whether you were reacting appropriately, or not. Antidepressants can greatly reduce stress and anxiety levels, but they won't stop you from freaking out were you to come face to face with a lion.

What is it about these noises that disturbs you so much?

I don't know I have no idea why I can't just let it annoy me or whatever but get on with it without it making me ill like it has. I don't know if it's because I'm sensitive to noise or what. Iv never lived in a semi detached before only a detached so not sure if that had anything to do with it either. It's a bit strange I know but it is how all this depression/anxiety got triggered off.

When would you say fluoxetine is working at its maximum about 8-12weeks

It's a bit strange I know but it is how all this depression/anxiety got triggered off.
    Except that you've previously told me that you were beginning to gave issues even before you moved in. So the noises were most likely just the final straw that tipped your stress over the abyss, not the only, or even main cause. It is very possible/probable that once your anxiety levels are back under control you will see the noises as what they are, minor irritants, not the huge issue your mind currently demonises them to be.

Having lived in shared accommodation from time to time, such noises soon fade into the background. Even in detached houses things go bump in the night and others make noises. They just didn't register with you back home because you were used to them, and perhaps more critically to all this, felt safe.

When would you say fluoxetine is working at its maximum about 8-12weeks
    It may be earlier, but it almost always is by week 12. The only question will be whether the dose at that time is high enough. Some fine tuning may be required, but if fluoxetine works then it should be having a significant affect by then even at 20mg.

I hope my anxiety levels do get back under control because I keep thinking I'm ready to go back up to the house but then keep thinking to myself I'll hear a bang and it will set me off and when I think this I can feel the anxiety in me if that makes sense so then I think I'm not ready yet.

I have a review on Friday which will be over 6 weeks since I have been on the fluoxetine and I'm just petrified they will up my dosage and I will get lots of the nasty side effects again.

Day 44 and had some ok days not good but ok then back down again. Negative thoughts and worries very strong and taking over me again.

Is this a good sign that the fluox is working if I have had some ok days? It's so disheartening when I feel ok and think things are looking up then they go back downhill again I'm guessing it's the same for everyone else and I really feel for everyone this illness is so hard

Is this a good sign that the fluox is working if I have had some ok days?
    Definitely yes. It shows the med is capable of having an impact. The one step forward, followed by several back shuffle is quite common with antidepressants. The important thing is the good days should gradually become more frequent and then begin outnumbering the bad after a while.

It's so disheartening when I feel ok and think things are looking up then they go back downhill again I'm guessing it's the same for everyone else and I really feel for everyone this illness is so hard
    Unfortunately, there are yet no quick and easy solutions. These disorders are often a long time in the making and slow to respond to treatment, drugs or therapy. But they do respond most of the time.

Got my review later with my GP so going to tell her how Iv been and she if she thinks I need a increase/change the dose. I feel petrified to do this because I don't want to go back to square one as I have read negative things about increasing the dose and changing medication.

Had about 6-7 sessions of therapy but not learnt how to deal with the anxiety/depression yet as most of the work we have been doing is questions but on my next session on Monday my therapist said we will start work in 'the chair' so not sure what therapy I will be doing.

Day 46 on 20mg fluox and 80mg propranolol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information