Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here-withdrawing frm citalopram

Unhappy New here-withdrawing frm citalopram

Hi

I have regularly been referred to this site by a search engine when looking at citalopram and found it so useful and comforting to read the experiences of others. I have been on the drug 7 months for treatment of anxiety and mild depression (for the second time), I was on it for 4 years previously mainly for anxiety.

I have been tapering off citalopram now for the last five weeks and am going full the first full week if withdrawal (last tablet was Tuesday). Have been having the "electric shock" type feelings, nausea, dizziness, headaches...all the usual symptoms people describe and guess am just reaching out to all the other people out there going through the same thing! Its not easy going through this and since no family know I am on them only a few select friends, its not easy to get support.

I don't rememebr it being this bad last time I came off them!!!

Re: New here-withdrawing frm citalopram

hiya pingu to nmp its lovely to have you here . you will get lots of support/advice and make some great friends along the way. dont forget to visit the chat roon where you can talk to us all about things or just have a giggle and take your mind of your worrys.
    best wishes
    take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Pingu

Firstly a big warm to the site, you've come to the right place, You will get all the support you need and make alot of friends along the way.

Citalopram, I ve taken it for 3 years now and not sure if it is really helping. Im on 40mg per day, so stupidly I tried to come of it myself. I started by dropping 5mg per day and god didnt I feel ill.
    I cant relate to being off it altogether like you but the systoms are the same, I was a coward I went back on them asap.

When I read about them the symtoms you are discribing can last a couple of weeks.
    My hubby came off them and he said it lasted about 10 days then it all went away.

I hope I have been some help to you.

Take care and good luck.
    Smudgie

Citalopram must be close to Cipralex then because when i came off (straight off 20mg a day) i had the electric shocks your describing now. The withdrawl symptoms will vary depending on the person and sometimes the length of the use of the drug.

Mine took approx 8 weeks but i still have simmilar feelings every so often, nowhere near as severe as the early days though.

I personally dont want any SSRI's anymore and if i knew now what i didnt then, i never would of taken them. Here on in im on diazepam only, 5mg 6 times a day as required. Gives me comfort knowing i can control my anxiety that way, without side effects or withdrawl symptoms from diazepam, in my "better" weeks.

Best of luck,

Cons

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

Hi Pingu

I dont have experience of meds but just wanted to say welcome to NMP

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Hi and

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike

i was on cipralex (escitalopram-which is the newer form of citalopram) forapprox 5 years for anxiety and i have just taken myself off it. this took me about 6 months to do though as i did it so gradually but to be honest i'm gonna go back on it as i just seem to have gone straight back to square one again

The only advice I can give you is to do it really slowly-i went from 10mg a day to 7.5mg (i bit 3/4 of a tablet) then 5mg (half) then 2.5 (nibble) lol but this was over a really long period as i was terrified of the side effects and withdrawl and I was OK doing this

Lou xxxxx

Hi Pingu

Just wanted to you aboard and lovely to see you here.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

Hello Pingu And Welcome..i Wish Ya Well.......linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information