Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low blood pressure / Vasovagal . Will it ever kill me?

Low blood pressure / Vasovagal . Will it ever kill me?

Hi, I am looking to hear from people who have had / has issues with low blood pressure.

I've talked to a lot of people, family, friends and doctors (even went to therapy for months with no success whatsoever).

I suffer from low blood pressure spells and vasovagal responses after a severe inflammation in my bowels (almost peritonitis). Thing is, it's been like this for over two years, and every time it happens, I'm scared I'm going to die (which I never did, so far).

Has anyone suffered this fear of dying due to your body ACTUALLY losing your vitals signs, of only for a little? How can I convince myself I am NOT going to die if my pulse decreases and my blood pressure drops to around 90/40?

Thank you.

Re: Low blood pressure / Vasovagal . Will it ever kill me?

What is your average blood pressure and what does it get down to? I seen you said what if on the 90/40. Do you get really dizzy or ever faint?

Quote Originally Posted by netminder1976 View Post
    What is your average blood pressure and what does it get down to? I seen you said what if on the 90/40. Do you get really dizzy or ever faint?
    Hi Netminder. My average is 120/80 - 130/80

It goes down to 90/40.-

I get supper dizzy, short of breathe and nausea (sometimes even vomit) and I fall and had passed out only twice or thrice out of hundreds of times this happened.

That does go pretty low but I don't believe it would just drop to nothing at all. I think I'd be more worried about a fall from fainting. What does your doctor say about this? Also what happens to your pulse during this? I would think it would speed up to make up for it, I'm far from a doctor though.

That does go pretty low but I don't believe it would just drop to nothing at all. I think I'd be more worried about a fall from fainting. What does your doctor say about this? Also what happens to your pulse during this? I would think it would speed up to make up for it, I'm far from a doctor though.
    Yes I know, it actually feels like I'm dying but I can hold it almost together and not faint so much, just lay on the floor feeling miserable.

My doctors say it's all in my head, even though it started happening after an almost peritonitis episode, and always related to when my bowels are innervated in some way (have to poo, feel bloated etc).

My pulse before the episode is really slow and faint, and yes, once I go lower than 90/40 I feel a severe, non-anxiety tachycardia; actually, this one episode was the first time I felt my heart being messed up and it wasn't because of anxiety or something 'mental'.

Doctor said it's all in your head? That's crazy, has he seen it go down to 90/40 or is that a home measurement?

My BP is always low. Never over 90 on the top. I have had it 55/40 before and I am still living. I get dizzy spells but just lie down for a while with my feet up. A cup of tea and a biscuit often helps. Make sure you eat regularly.
    My GP is not concerned about it.

Doctor said it's all in your head? That's crazy, has he seen it go down to 90/40 or is that a home measurement?
    Yeah, they say it's because I strain to go to the toilet (even though it happens before and after going to the toilet), and also because of stress. He never seen it go down because those measurements happen whilst I'm having an episode, mostly measured by EMTs and in pharmacies where they have people trained to measure BP.

---------- Post added at 09:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    My BP is always low. Never over 90 on the top. I have had it 55/40 before and I am still living. I get dizzy spells but just lie down for a while with my feet up. A cup of tea and a biscuit often helps. Make sure you eat regularly.
    My GP is not concerned about it.
    Thank you so much for your reply Annie, it is quite reassuring. Good thing is I love cups of tea and biscuits!

Yeah, I eat regularly, although sometimes because of work, etc I skip snacks and also noticed I don't hydrate that much.

However it's just terrifying; when my BP goes down I literally feel life leaving my body, it's horrible and quite scary.

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

It's really funny, for example right now, I can feel it again. It's almost as if I could only be lying down, otherwise I'll feel terrible.

I'm skinny, so you can really notice the veins on my hands; however during these episodes, they are non existant. I start feeling really nervous and short of breath, in a very calmed down way. My head hurts mildy, almost as if there was no oxygen getting to it, and I feel nauseated all of a sudden (even gagging).

My hands and arms feel light, barely numb, and I get the feeling I will have a bowel movement.

I get cold and you can barely notice any pulse on my wrists and neck, (when I'm alright, you will actually see the pulse on my wrists and neck, no need to even place your fingers on it, you will literally see the artery pulsating).

Shit, I'm really going to die, ain't I?

I suffer pretty much the same symptoms. I recently saw a cardiologist. He diagnosed me with vasovagal attacks (dysautonomia). I've had pretty much every heart test done under the sun; ECG's, 24 hour holter/blood pressure monitoring, echocardiograms ect which came back normal. The cardiologist said this is normal in young people and blood pressure isn't stable in young people. I'm now prescribed medication to take for when it gets bad otherwise it's pretty harmless unless your actually fainting. I find avoiding standing for long periods of time helps alot. Also, avoiding triggers can help as well. Have you seen a cardiologist or had heart tests for this?

I don't even think about it now, I have accepted I have low pressure and if I feel dizzy I just think "oh it's just my bp" Will rest for a bit and have a bite to eat and carry on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information