Thread: I'm looking at these pills the doc gave me....

I'm looking at these pills the doc gave me....

and while on here, I guess I found a bunch of people with the same problems as me. This is great! Anyways, I went to the doctor for anxiety, and panic disorder. I have never taken meds for it but when I went a whole week without eating and had a panic attack I was through. So I thought they would give me xanax or something to that effect. Instead they gave me this one thing, and then the citalopram. I have never taken this type of med and I was so scared. This is only day two for me and I am starting with a half as my doc told me to do. I guess my question is, does this stuff make people whack, is it going to make me sick, is it going to make me depressed when I wasnt depressed to begin with, will it make me a zombie, does it work like a downer, ext ext. I want to have a social life and I am worried about beer with the med. If anyone can answer these questions and tell me if this med has helped them, I would be so thankful. help me out if you can. Let me know if I need to ditch this crap

thanx Bran

ONLY YOU HAVE THE ANSWER YOU ARE LOOKING FOR , meds affect people in different ways, i have not taking these meds , but i am sure you will find many members that have. my promplem is that i suffer with anxiety and p.a. i take diazpam 5mg [but only for journeys] and have recently started taking rescure remedy [spray] as a sub for diazpam. This works for me , i h0pe

Hi there!
    I have been taking citalopram since march!
    They really seem to help with the panic and like yourself i have never really been depressed.But i must say they have given me more get up and go than i have had for a long time.
    I too was very scrared when i was given these meds but i decided what could be worse than feeling like this(a nervous reck,waiting for the panick).
    I was looseing weight where i couldet eat,and i was becoming very low becauseof it.
    Meds havea different affects on people so i caut say if it will upset your tum all not.It made me feel a little nausea in the frist week,heighted panick and dizzyness,and the feeling of being spaced out,also more tired.After about two,three weeks this went.And i up them to 15mg,then after three months of being on them i upped them to 20mg.
    Im now considering weaning myself off them in the spring time,but i will see how things go and if im ready!
    I hope this helps,good luck and pm me if you need any support,
    xxxxxxxx

Hi Bran Bran, I agree with everything Two Heads has said. I have been on Citalopram for two and a half years, it wasn't easy at first. It takes about 6 weeks for the drug to work fully, and you may get side-effects, but I persevered, went back to work after 4 months off sick, and slowly started to get my life back on track. I have a beer or two without ill effect. Anxiety, depression, panic attacks can be conquered, and I have wonderful friends who helped me along the way.
    Best of luck and take care, Stefan.

Thread Information