Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritated Mole

Irritated Mole

I have a mole on the side of my face on the cheekbone. Over the years it has occasionally become tender to the touch and then gone away in a day or so. This happened a month ago and for some reason I got really freaked over it. It tends to get red and can become a little raised. I went to the doctor and he took a good look at it and said it looked normal and not to worry. He also advised not to have it removed as it wasn’t small and would leave a scar.

I went away satisfied. Unfortunately it’s happened again—tender to the touch (i.e. brush of fingers etc) and is a little raised and the skin around it is a little red. I just want to say the redness is more on the surrounding skin and the colour of the mole remains unchanged (light brown).

I’m battling the urge to go back to the doctors so soon after having been told that it looks fine.

Does anyone else have a mole that gets irritated like this? My husband thinks it may be make-up irritating it or possibly something to do with one of the small hairs. What do you think?

Re: Irritated Mole

Hi Helen, I too have a mole on my face that is worrying me. I have thought on and off lately that it might be a little itchy/sore but I have to admit that it really only feels this way when I'm thinking about it a lot. I went to see my doctor about it around 3 months ago. She said that she didn't think it was a problem right now but that I should probably have it removed in the next 6-12 months. She said that because of it's position (close to my right eye) and because it is so raised that it will always be hard to protect from the sun. After fretting about for a while I finally made an appointment with the plastic surgeon that she referred me to and am going to see him on Tuesday.
    I am worried about scarring etc, I hope he doesn't want to remove it on Tuesday because I want to talk to him about it first.
    Mine tends to get knocked a fair bit because of where it is, and because it is quite prominent. It can be a bit tender when that happens. The fact that yours hasn't changed colour is a good sign, but I would say that if it is bothering you, take it back to the doctor, or perhaps get a second opinion. It's better to be safe than sorry with these things.

Hi there,
    I too have a mole on my temple (of all places). I'v had it years and it gradually gets bigger as time goes by. It is covered by that bit of hair that covers our temples but you can still see it. It looks very 'toad' (yeugh!) like and i guess i should get it checked out but i am scared to do so. Unlike yours it isnt painful but i do sometimes get a pain in my head behind it, which isorrying!!!!! The thing with moles is that so many people seem to have them and get them removed (i have two removed from my back years ago) they were benign thank god!

i was born with a pretty large mole on my neck..bout the size of a coin....

it was only ever irritated when poked by the hairdressers.....

till recently...some of my hair somehow- after all these years, got tangled around it and strangled it.....of course it became really really sore and swelled up huge!!!!! was awful! and i started to get panicky about it, hubby (poor thing) tried to remove the hair, which calmed down the pain a little but, from then i just kept knocking it for weeks and it just kept hurting, more hair got tangled, then i just put a bandaid on it and thought, ill go to the doc tomorrow..

took the bandaid off and the mole came off with it!!!!!
    checked my neck-no scarring, all clear....neck feels amazing now, and now i cna wear my hair in a ponytail without embarrisment...

so in my case, things worked out very well

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

LeeBee, I wish you the very best of luck on Tuesday!

pinkpiglet, worrying about these things is horrible isn't it. Why don't you pop along to your Docs and get your mind put to rest?

peach, I'm so glad it worked out for you.

As for myself, I think I'll just make a pest of myself at my GP's

Hi there

I had a mole on my left bicep? (inside just above elbow) removed a couple of years ago. I had had it for years and then one day after some gardening it became a bit inflamed. GP reckoned I'd caught it and as it was a bit raised decided to take it off at the surgery. He shaved it off with a cauterizing instrument. It was totally painless and healed up really quickly. I have got a large raised mole on my chest and it keeps getting rubbed by the seat belt if I am a passenger and am wearing a low neck. I am due to have that removed soon. Because this is bigger the doc said he would have to cut it out and that it would leave a small scar. This doesn't bother me as I would rather get rid of it but I can understand that if it is on the face then I might be more concerned. Hope this helps and that you all get yours sorted.

Thanks for your good wishes, Helen. Hope your's gets the all clear to put your mind at rest soon.

Hi, I am new here and am going through the exact same thing at the moment so know how you are feeling. The mole thats irritating me at the moment doesn't seem to have really changed but keeps itching and I keep panicking about it. I have an appointment with dermatologist/plastic surgeon for Tues 30th and honestly don't know how I am going to get through it as I am so scared.

Good luck Leebe for Tues also!
    x

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of you Leebee and Mummyto4 and offer a big hug

Mummyto4! If it's any help to you, I think you'll find there are more threads on moles and quite a few mention itchy moles that have proven to be okay. Try not to worry hun. As has been mentioned before, it's great that the mole doesn't appear to have changed and I KNOW for a fact that just being paranoid about it can make it itch like mad. The first time I saw a doctor over mine it was itching me like crazy, and yet as soon as I was told it was fine, the itch went away.

For myself, I went to my docs and saw the senior GP--he's one of those great doctors that is not too scared to give a definate opinion. He confirmed that it was completely benign, but I've opted to have it removed anyway. Apparantly my mole includes a cyst that gets inflamed every now and then and probably a little infected when I keep poking at it.

Thanks Helen, I am trying not to worry but when I got the letter to confirm my appointment I just went to pieces. I saw 2 drs about it and they both said similar things, the 2nd one in particular said that he thinks I may be worrying unnecessarily and even questioned as to whether it was a cyst and not a mole so funny you should say that! but I was told by a previous doctor that it is a mole (light brown, small). I think getting the appointment letter and a leaflet that was attached scared the life out of me when I read it. My husband said the leaflet is standard procedure but since reading it I have been in a constant state of worry and upset. Heaven knows how I am gonna get to the appointment on Tues I am so scared.
    Thanks or your reply, its good to know I am not alone.
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information