Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so difficult to drag myself off the sofa & go to bed?

Why is it so difficult to drag myself off the sofa & go to bed?

Night after night (especially this time of year) I repeat the same unhealthy behaviour.

My ideal time for heading to bed is 10 p.m. I know this for certain, because if I am regularly in bed between 10.00 & 10.30 not only do i feel more refreshed in the morning, more importantly it is so much easier able to get up in the morning

But for weeks now, come 10.00...... I remain on the sofa, tapping away on the Internet, knowing it isn't helping me at all. But i just seem to find one inane thing after another to entertain me. My eyes end up tired. I can't get up in the morning because I am often in bed gone 11.00.

So why is it so hard to get up & go to bed????

I know that an earlier night - or more to the point - a regular sleeping pattern with an earlier bed time - would help me feel so much better. But I don't do it.

I did read somewhere that if you go to bed when you feel tired (& not at a pre-determined regular bedtime) this is ok. You don't have to stick to a set bed time. The article said it was more important always to getup at the same time regardless of what time you went to bed the night before. That is the key.your tiredness will dictate when you retire to bed & if genuinely tired, you will fall asleep quickly.

I actually think this makes total sense.
    If tiredness dictates your bedtime that's ok.
    Also I agree rising at the same time daily is a good thing.

I like sleeping too. So still wonder why I don't find going to bed easy.

I'd welcome your observations since this is a trait I have had for decades & would enjoy life much more if I could sort it out.

:-)

Re: Why is it so difficult to drag myself off the sofa & go to bed?

I don't know the answer to this one Tessar because sleep & routines are one of my bigger problems that I am nowhere near resolving. My case will differ to yours as its more about my OCD making me stay up later (I started at 2am ish and now I'm on to 1:30pm! I'm lucky if I get 5 hours at the moment and I feel pretty bad about getting up so late)

It makes sense about being tired. I understand the concept of getting up no matter what is to encourage a rhythm but make your body desire a catch up of sleep.

The only thing I think of is to set firm deadlines within a sleep routine e.g. no internet after X and put all devices out of reach. I guess that would be a bit like not having any devices or distractions in the bedroom.

I think once you get moving, you feel more motivated to do it, so maybe plan to go slightly earlier and let it catch up that way?

I can relate to this Tessar. And I know when we make ourselves go to bed early, it really does make a difference the next day.

I think it helps to be realistic. When things are tough I always try to achieve small things - so maybe just make yourself have one early night out of a whole week, instead of being mad at yourself that you stay up late every single night. Just puts a more positive spin on it.

Maybe an alarm at both ends of the day would be a good idea? Set the alarm for 10 pm then if you want you can press the snooze button while you shut the computer down and when the alarm goes off again it is time to get ready for bed so that you can be in by 10:30.

Hi Tessar, I'm like Terry, 2am ish, which I am trying to adjust to 1am ish.
    Considering I have always gone to bed late, even if I have to get up at 6am, this is trying to change a habit of a lifetime.
    I have a friend who goes to bed at 9.30pm and has an afternoon nap as well.
    She needs this because her Life is so full. Her work starts at 6.30am, so I can see why she does this.
    But, you are right, I have also heard that it is better to go to bed at the same time every night, even if you had a late night the night before or vice-versa.
    Unfortunately, as much as I love this Site, you can get rather involved in the 'Threads' and once you get involved in writing back and forth, you look at the clock and think; "How did that happen?" It's way pact my bed-time and my head is swimming around with topics and answers.
    Annie has a sensible answer to keep that in line. I might try that myself.

Thank you everyone for your interesting thoughts & suggestions.
    Well I have made a bit of progress. I did go to bed earlier Sunday night and Monday.
    I managed to get to work pretty much on time as I got up 10mins earlier (it makes all the difference). they're easy going about what time u arrive & often I end up staying late... But I would rather be on time.
    I shall try to keep up the good work. I do need a routine & deadlines for stopping using the internet. Last nite we went for a meal so were late to bed but I still got up at the earlier time. I was bang on time for work too.
    In the morning I see my counsellor, 8.00 appointment & I am never late for that. Suggests its motivation I need to get up daily.
    Anyway thank you again. Maybe I do need an alarm for the evenings too.
    I need one telling me to go home from work as well!
    Well....I had better go to bed now or I will be late up and that just won't do!!!!!
    I am looking forward to achieving an improvement here & hope to report back with more success soon.

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Oh... Meant to say, if I went to bed much after 11:00 I simply couldn't function.

I should be so lucky going to bed...and sleep..at 10pm. Haven't done that since...well actually have never done that, I'd miss a lot of great telly dramas if I went to bed that early! I need about 7 hours sleep to function at my best so midnight to 7am was always fine for me when I was working, but now retired 7 hours can be 1am to 8, or 2 til 9 etc. But if i'm stressed and worrying about stuff, I can go half the night without sleeping...not great I know. But if you get stressed out because you can't sleep from 10pm, is it because you have to get up at 5am or something? I always thought only teenagers needed more than 7 or 8 hours sleep!

ISB x

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    I should be so lucky going to bed...and sleep..at 10pm. Haven't done that since...well actually have never done that, I'd miss a lot of great telly dramas if I went to bed that early! I need about 7 hours sleep to function at my best so midnight to 7am was always fine for me when I was working, but now retired 7 hours can be 1am to 8, or 2 til 9 etc. But if i'm stressed and worrying about stuff, I can go half the night without sleeping...not great I know. But if you get stressed out because you can't sleep from 10pm, is it because you have to get up at 5am or something? I always thought only teenagers needed more than 7 or 8 hours sleep!

ISB x
    Sounds like you need an ITV3 -1

ISB they say u need less sleep as u get older..... It isnt that way for me!!!!

I wonder wot wud happen if u tried reeling in how late u go to bed? Try 10 mins earlier each week. See how it goes??

Maybe i need to just stop beating mysef up and go to bed wen I want but be more rigid about getting up!

I was well late last nite but up on time today...
    my counseller pointed out I hv never bn late for an appointment with her....I sed wen it matters I am always on time! Maybe that's it... I know I won't get told off by my bosses for arriving late at work because I always stay late and I work really hard too

Oh I dunno.... I am busy debating again! I will get there and it's winter too.... Dark mornings and evenings don't help (that's my excuse today)!!!

Off 2 work now :-)

The best thing is not to stress about the 'Sleep' thing, it only gives out to more Anxiety!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information