Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colonoscopy soon

Re: Colonoscopy soon

I had one a few months ago. Ask for sedation and the procedure itself will be very easy. They were halfway through before I realised that they had started :-)

They gave me the results straight away and mine were all clear.

The prep wasn't enjoyable but wasn't awful. I had to drink 2 litres the evening before and 2 litres in the morning. I stayed VERY close to the toilet but walking around helps things go quicker. I mixed my drink with lime cordial to make it taste less horrible. Be careful not to chill it because that volume of cold drink will cool your body too much.

A tip I recommend is to buy baby wipes and nappy rash cream. You will want something kind and soothing on your bum once the prep starts working.

I worried about the whole thing way more than I needed to.

Thank you for your advice. My prep is pineapple flavored. I hope I can tolerate it. I have to drink it tomorrow starting at 2 pm and then drink 8 ounces every 20-30 minutes until it's gone. I will be sedated with propofol. I will be so glad when it's Thursday afternoon and the whole thing is over. I have been nervous and on edge for 2 weeks and it is driving me crazy!

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Yes, Annie, I start it at 2 pm tomorrow. I have to only take clear liquids starting tomorrow morning. I need to get some broth and jello. They called me for my pre-op intake today and said I am scheduled at 0930. I wish it was earlier. I have to be at the hospital at 8 am. I will definitely check in tomorrow and Thursday after the procedure. Like you, I am more worried about getting the results than the actual procedure. I have a horrendous fear of being told something bad is wrong. Even though I have no reason to believe that there will be bad news. I keep telling myself that if there is something that needs to be treated, then it is a good thing to get it done. I have come so close to cancelling so many times. These are the things that fuel my anxiety. I have health anxiety so bad. Well, I am rambling too much. I will post again tomorrow. Good luck to you.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

SLA, why did you get referred for one? When is it to be done?

I have to wait until 12:30 on Saturday for mine. I wish I could fast forward! I have been cleaning my house to keep me busy. I will have the cleanest house in the town by Saturday!

I've had a few odd things happen, and so I saw a Doctor on monday.

She asked a load of questions, stuck her finger up my ass, and then referred me to have one done!

Not sure of the date yet, waiting to hear.

Im slightly on edge, but holding up.

SLA, can you look at it as having a free colonic irrigation treatment? No one wants to be referred for a colonoscopy but as everyone says it's the preparation which is the worst bit. I was lucky and had just a 4 hour prep which was pretty full-on but over much more quickly. The consultant who did mine prefers the dynamite laxative effect!

It's the fear of the unknown and anyone would be apprehensive about this but it's really not that bad and you get the results straightaway. Choose to have sedation and it's better still....I think they give you midazolam which suits me just fine!

I really wish everyone the very best of luck with their colonoscopies. The anticipatory anxiety is so draining when you just want the time to fly by so you can get cracking on getting the thing done and dusted.

Well, it's over!!! The relief I feel is indescribable! Of course as everyone says the prep was the worst part. Lol. But really not for me. Mine was getting the results. Which I had one polyp removed which he said was benign.( they will send to pathology to confirm). Said to come back for another colonoscopy in 5 years because if you develope one the chances are slightly increased that you could develope others. He wasn't concerned.

I want to say thank you to everyone for the support I have received on this forum. I can't tell you how much it has helped.

I am so pleased it is over for you and nothing serious.
    I start my prep at 5 tonight. I am very nervous today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information