Thread: CBT and Hypnotherapy etc

CBT and Hypnotherapy etc

Hi,

I have a fear of public speaking and to be precise right now its icebreakers when on training courses with my new company. I literally cant even get my words out . I'm taking a 3-4 pronged approach and would like to here anyone's thoughts.

1. CBT - I have had 3 sessions so far and although this has given me a greater understanding and better attitude towards anxiety I feel the physical symptoms still hold me back even with my new outlook.

2. Audio book - I drive loads for work and have been listening to an audio book called the DARE response. I like listening to this but this 4 step response seems a lot to do when put on the spot to talk in public. Never the less its informative, enjoyable and I will carry on with it.

3. Hypnotherapy - I have attended a free consultation for hypnotherapy and plan on starting a six session course when I return from a business trip in a couple of weeks. This is expensive and i'm not completely convinced by it but I am both hopeful and faithful (the google reviews for this particular therapist are unbelievable).

4. Medication - I was prescribed propranolol a couple of years back. I tried it but felt it did nothing, however my physical symptoms have worsened since then and hope I feel the effects this time around.

Thanks

Steve

Re: CBT and Hypnotherapy etc

Hi Steve how are you? My anxiety started like this and it snowballed over 4 years in to depression and major anxiety my advice altho I am not a doctor is stuck with CBT. I have done cbt, hypnotherapy, self meds and I was on propranolol for years!!! Cbt will help and a bit of exposure therapy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: CBT and Hypnotherapy etc

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the reply, im good thanks - how about yourself?

Sorry to here you have been in the same situation - I would not wish it on anyone! Have you found a way to some kind of recovery or do you still suffer?

I have already suffered from depression and got past it but thats not to say it wont return! And i do feel the anxiety slipping into my everyday life but not too badly at the moment.

Would you say the CBT was the most useful? And what are your thoughts on hypnotherapy?

Steve

Thread Information