Thread: cutting to 10mg

cutting to 10mg

Hi I have been on Citalopram for a year, but keen to come off it as I have been feeling much better. Cut down to 10mg from 20 just under 3 weeks ago, and I feel lousy. Am getting horrible headaches, I can't stop sleeping, and feeling irritable and panicky. I thought if I came off them slowly I would feel ok, so I don't know why I feel so bad. Can anyone advise please?

Re: cutting to 10mg

hi matey, i cant help u with this but wanted to send u a hug and bump u back up the forum and hopefully someone will b able to help u. xxx

Hi There

When i came off Citalopram i did it over many weeks reducing it very slowly, 20mg,15mg(i cut the table in half) till eventually 5mg. I have been on Citalopram a few times. And found out if i reduced the doseage too quickly my symptoms came back. It may be a good idea to have a word with your GP and see if its possible to go back to 15mg till the symptoms subside then go to 10mg then 5mg.

reducing the meds slowly over a good few weeks or months worked best for me.
    Hope that helps

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

Hi there

I reduced from 40mg to 10mg but very slowly. I reduced by 5mg every 3 weeks to a month. I had no side effects whatsoever. In fact I feel I can stop it completely but whats the hurry? Give yourself time. Perhaps you should go back on 20mg for a couple of months and then reduce slowly if you so wish.

Best regards

Andy

I reduced from 30mg to 20mg for 1 month, then onto 10mg for one month then 0. And 2 weeks in I'm great, back to normal with no withdrawals. Slow and steady wins the race!!!!!!!!!

Hi there - I think you have reduced too quickly - 50% is a HUGE drop for your body to cope with. Why not try cutting tablets in halves and quarters? If you start off with a half and a quarter one night (1.5mg) followed by the full 2mg the next night (doing it alternative nights) for a couple of weeks, and then do half (1mg) one night, followed by half and a quarter (1.5mg) for another two weeks and so on. There is no time limit on reduction, and the slower you go, the kinder it will be to yourself. I did it this way (on Lustral) and it was fine. Hope this helps!

Thread Information