Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety disappears when I have a glass of wine & a cigarette?

Anxiety disappears when I have a glass of wine & a cigarette?

As the title says, my 'relaxation' tools are a couple of glasses of wine and cigarettes of an evening but obviously these are bad for me so I want to quit.

If I think back to my massive panics where I've ended up in A&E etc, and all the bad episodes I've had.. they have all happened when I'm not having a drink and a ciggie. This week I've decided to quit both and my anxiety is through the roof causing the return of my IBS/reflux, tight shoulders, numbness etc etc.

I'm quite stressed at the moment due to planning my wedding, partners long time job no longer safe and me finding out one of my colleagues has been stabbing me in the back so I'm wondering if this is the wrong time to quit. I have smoked on and off for 20 years but am terrifed of damaging my heart (was referred to a cardiologist 2 years ago and sent away with flying colours).

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks

Re: Anxiety disappears when I have a glass of wine & a cigarette?

When i look back i used to unwind with alchol all the time . I can,t now with the meds i,m on really peed off .

Personally i,d kick one at a time , the ciggies being the first .

def don't try to quit both at the same time, maybe slowly cutting down both would be better. Sounds like you're under a lot of stress right now so quitting both will make your anxiety worse and then you will prob go back to the booze and fags so take it slowly! x

Vote three for the 'quit one at a time' approach.

Fags first - the nicotine dependency goes in a few days but the desire to smoke will last longer. May I recommend Alan Carr's 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking'. Very good - 15 years 'clean' now.
    Last edited by mr badger; 18-01-11 at 17:18. Reason: tryping

I am the same!! When I feel really anxious I tend 2 have a glass of wine and a fag and then I feel much better! However my therapist has pointed out the dangers of this... obviously I am already addicted to smoking as I have been doing so for 10 years, however there is the danger that I may become dependant on alcohol. As alcohol is a depressant, it only makes u feel good for a while, I know the next morning I always feel worse (not on just 1 glass, but for me, 1 glass usually turns 2 3 or 4!) but I just can't make myself stop as I'm worried stopping will make the anxiety worse, pppft!!!!

xx

One of the withdrawal effects of quitting smoking is anxiety. Give it another week and see how you feel. If it's not really helping start drinking alcohol (moderately!) again and quit that later.

The only bad thing about cutting down slowly is that sometimes it's harder - particularly with cigarettes - it can be easier to just get it over and done with.

I've never managed to quit (but I don't really want to!) but several friends have used Alan Carr's book and they all swear by it. So I'd agree with the poster above on giving that a try.

I smoked for the past 20 years but the day I got my first panic attack back in August, was the last time I had a cigarette. I wasn't exactly sure what was happening to me but I knew that I needed to look after myself and sort my health out. Knowing nicotine is a stimulant just put me right off. Its not always been easy but I am so glad I kicked it, the money saved is paying for counselling each week.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

The problem is I can't enjoy a glass of wine without a cigarette, if I could just relax with the wine that would be great but I can't, never have been able to.

As I'm getting married in 9 weeks I am sure the pressure will just increase so am wanting to hold on to my 'crutches' until then but then get annoyed with myself for doing so. It's a vicious circle.

yeah it's tough to quit.
    Of course, the irony is that fags and booze (even two medium size glasses of wine) significantly up your cancer risk or risk of heart disease. Ironic considering we all worry about our health!
    Hey I am not preaching I drink up to 21 units a week too, though I kicked the ciggies.
    I think that booze helps us with worry shows that DEEP DOWN our biggest problem is managing our anxiety, which gets out of control and it's kept going by compulsive reassurance seeking etc. Booze is not the answer though as it's also a depressant = vicious cycle
    Tried yoga? Exercise? It's OK to drink regularly if you don't binge drink and have a couple of nights off the booze
    Good luck

I don't know if this will help you as we are all different but when i was really anxious i was smoking a lot, i felt relaxed and felt like i had a grip on things when i did. So i started thinking ok i'm feeling stressed now but in a little while i will have cig and feel relaxed, then i started trying to increase the times between the next cig and the last, always knowing that i could have one whenever if i wanted to be it was my challenge to myself to see if i could, i cut down loads. I also find that if you put a pen in your mouth and try and engage in something else then you can distract yourself quite well for a while and fool your body. Don't feel too bad about these vices though people do them for a reason - they feel good - but everything in moderation and if you can eventually quit then awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information