Thread: Sexual Side Effects, short and long term

Sexual Side Effects, short and long term

Hi everybody,

I'm sure a few of you will have read my thread regarding my girlfriend recently starting on Cit. If not feel free to have a look here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78710

Well, I'm pleased to say that it's really working for her. She's much happier, doesn't seem to get anxious, and much more like herself. Brilliant!!!

The few side effects she's experienced/ing are difficulty in sleeping(sometimes), feeling numb and emotionless, which I guess is the all part of how the drug works, and the one I want to discuss here, the sexual side effects.

At the moment she's completely lost all sex drive, and isn't interested at all. We used to have a great sex life, so this is difficult for both of us. We have had sex a few times since she started on the pills. This was all in one day though when I did manage to get her in the mood. She found it very hard to orgasm (which has never been an issue before), although we did get there in the end with a lot of work .

I have a few questions if people don't mind discussing this topic. Understood if not:

1. Do these side effects pass/improve with time?
    2. Is there anything anyone has found that helps improve either situation? The loss of libido is the hardest one to tackle. I'm perfectly willing to work on the other one. I've heard Ginko Bibloa might help. Has anyone tried this?
    3. Any tips on how I should behave? Strange question I know.
    4. I've read a little bit about these side effects contiuing after coming off the Cit. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it common etc? I'm really hoping we won't find this happens in this case.

Thanks for reading.

Charlie

Re: Sexual Side Effects, short and long term

Some people find it does improve with time Charlie .But some have to wait until theyhave stopped taking it & have no more in their system .This can take a few weeks after the withdrawals have stopped though .All you can do is be sympathetic and dont make a big deal out of it .Explore new ways of pleasuring each other .This will keep the closeness .You never know you might find some things out about each other you didnt know before .There are things you can buy from the internet like gels that improve blood flow .Its not reccomended to take Ginko on ssris .There is little proof it works anyway .Hopefully things will improve ,until they do enjoy the new found happiness your girlfriend feels .Thats more imporant for the time being . all the best Sue

Loss of libido is supposed to not be an issue after she's adjusted to the pills. However, it is possible she will stay this way for the whole time she's on them. Personally I found that when I was on the right dose, and the pills were really working, I had great sex.

I think it depends on the nature of your relationship as to how you behave now... not having sex can be quite a test. If you can survive a few months without much sex then you're proving the strength of your relationship. You'll find other things to do together as well, in that time you would be making love.

If I were her, I'd want you to not push too hard for sex, and try to gauge her mood carefully before you start anything... it's not nice to have to push someone away. She'll feel like she's not satisfying you, but it's not her fault. Be patient

Good luck, and well done for being so supportive.

I've been on cit for around hmmm 2 and a half months now and my my sex drive at present is sky high!! That may be due to lack if it lol!! Bur i'm slowly coming off the cit in the last few days but mines been like this for weeks. It may differ from the person....

HB x

Hi Charlie,

In my own experience when I took citalopram I had loss of libido etc but when I stopped taking it and started on mirtazipine I was almost crazy for it...it was almost like all the months I was on it had built up and suddenly came out....short lived though as loss of libido returned after taking mirt for a while. I would worry that my hubby would look elsewhere but we got through it and he just wanted me to be well. I am now reducing down and it seems the libido is slowly returning. I think that if you talk about it and share the feelings etc you will be fine.

In the past when I have been med free there have been no problems so am sure once your girlfriend will be fine.

I think its wonderful that you have taken the time to look for help and think she is a very lucky girl to have someone like you, who sounds so patient and considerate.

I hope it all improves for you.

Take care.
    Jo.xx

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. As always, they really are appreciated.

We have talked about it. She brought it up herself, and finds it frustrating. It's not the most important thing in the world to me, but it would be nice (for both of us) if we could get some form of that side of the relationhip back. Her happiness is by far the most important thing, and the Cit seems to be helping no end with that.

I can cope for a few months, and I'd never look elsewhere. I'd wait for as long as it takes, and she knows that too.

I try not too push too hard. I'll just wait till she's ready. Maybe as you say it will build up, and we'll make up for it... Can't wait!!!

Thanks again

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-mi16 View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. As always, they really are appreciated.

We have talked about it. She brought it up herself, and finds it frustrating. It's not the most important thing in the world to me, but it would be nice (for both of us) if we could get some form of that side of the relationhip back. Her happiness is by far the most important thing, and the Cit seems to be helping no end with that.

I can cope for a few months, and I'd never look elsewhere. I'd wait for as long as it takes, and she knows that too.

I try not too push too hard. I'll just wait till she's ready. Maybe as you say it will build up, and we'll make up for it... Can't wait!!!

Thanks again

Charlie
    Be patient, very patient. My wife has been on this for quite a while now and her sex drive can be non existant. From a male perspective this can be extremely frustrating. If you truly love your girlfriend, as your posts confirm, the wait is worthwhile. As you say you'd never look elsewhere, me neither, and the other benefits of Cit outweigh the sex side().

Hi, I'm new here and wouldn't usually post (I'm a bit of a lurker) but this thread caught my eye.

I'm male, and have been on a cocktail of meds for a while now, started with Mirtazapine, then Quetiapine got added along with Citalopram. Still waiting to feel the full benefits (I hope) as I'm at about week 5 of starting cit.

Anyway, onto the main reason I'm posting - I have had this loss of libido for quite a long time. I should also add that I take methadone because of a codeine addiction I had a while back (this will start being reduced slowly soon so I do not get a nasty rebound anxiety and depression). I know opiate painkillers reduce your libido anyway, but the with citalopram in the mix I just don't have any desire *at all*. I almost feel non-human, because I'm a man - I should have a massive libido! I have been with my girlfriend for over 3 years and it's so difficult to explain why I feel this way. There's nothing more than I would like to please her but it makes me feel so guilty that I can't.

Are there any other treatments around for this kind of thing, or is this going to be a waiting game (at least until I come off the methadone)?

Thread Information