Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eating out in public

Hey, i know im sorta young and ive not been to many weddings but in my experience the meal is usually not the main part of the wedding. in fact more of a minor thing. Youve so much to look forward to during the day, your own sister it getting married!! such a good reason to smile and be happy.

Like everyone has said, dont push yourself. Eat before hand so you dont feel like you have to eat at the wedding/ hen night, but hey you might want to pick at something when youre there, its entirely up to you.

Like Carlin and others have said, the main focus will be on your sister and her husband, youve not to worry about anyone looking at you eating

Have a great day, youll do fine

Religion? Communism? No, Love is the Opiate of the People

I do this sometimes. I agree with Strawberrie - try to remember no one is watching you.

Are you going with someone like a partner? If so tell them and get them to take some food off your plate to eat so it looks like you have had a go. If not - move it around until it looks a lesser amount then chat and have a sip of water.

You might fancy pud if you can put the starter and main course behind you!

Hi,
    I have the old fear of choking while eating and talking, too. In evolutionary terms, it makes sense, actually! However, I am now very open with people I am eating with and tell them that i worry about choking, so not to be offended if I don't immediately chat away while eating. Most poeple are very understanding, or are too polite to point out odd behaviour! As others have said, I always eat a lot before a big meal out/day event, so it doesn't matter too much if I don't eat very much. Hope you enjoy the wedding - I am getting married myself in May and I am fretting about the meal!! It'll be fine, though - these things always are. Remember, the anitcipation is much worse than the event, most of the time.

You are not alone. I also have difficulty eating in restaurants but can eat just fine in a fast food restaurant. I think it's the formality of going out for dinner that's the problem. I don't like situations where I feel trapped, and once you are sat at the table you are kind of stuck there until it's all over. Plus, I feel embarassed if I can't eat all my food 'cos obviously someone is paying for it. I have never really been able to overcome this one, but on the rare occasion that I decide to go, I try to have something simple like soup and a roll because it's easy to eat, and it's cheap if I end up leaving some of it. Good luck if you decide to go.

I find it difficult to eat out with people especially hard are sit down meals I actually avoided a meal at a wedding by spending two hours sitting in the car cos i couldn't face eating[V]...Its just that you can only go to the toilet so many times until it becomes noticable so basically i feel stuck and feeling stuck causes anxiety and anxiety leads to panic and feeling I'll puke...

Advice: Try to organise to sit near an exit or toilet so that you can escape fast and quietly if you need to have a breather also have a glass of water as it helps keep your mouth moist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information