Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hi i'm new... social anxiety

hi i'm new... social anxiety

Hi everyone.

I'm 25 and have been suffering from what i think is a social anxiety/phobia since i was about 18. Whenever i have to meet up with friends to eat drink with them i feel an overwhelming sense of panic and feel that my hands will start shaking. I don't always feel like this though which is why i'm finding it really difficult to grasp. One day i can walk into a pub and be able to order a pint without feeling this panic but on other occasions i can feel shaky again. I'm also at university and feel very anxious whenever i'm in a classroom i have a fear that i will be asked to stand up and write something on the board which i find terrifying! I've been looking into hypnotherapy to see if this would help, does anybody have any suggestions as how to overcome this.

Thanks

Hi jay,
    I can relate to the classroom anxiety from when i was at school bout 4-5 years ago, i left early to look after my agoraphobic mum, im now agoraphobic.
    Ya'know hypnotherapy could be worth looking into, theres no need to go out to an actual hypnotherapist either, they can be a bit pricey i hear, so maybe a hypnosis cd played on a personal walkman before bed or during the day. This could help.
    Also try some vitamin b complex {it helps the nerve system} There also natural remedies too such as kalms,these could be a big help.
    I highly recommend meditation, nothin fancy really, its just like relaxing deeply but in either complete stillness or taking yourself to a peaceful place.
    Hope this helps
    Take care
    Becci x x x

Thanks Becci i have tried to relax myself before.
    The thing is the problem isn't persistent but i am always aware of it. It sometimes affects me when i least expect it. I'll try what you said though, thanks.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

WELCOME TO THE SITE

There are lots of nice people here who will help
    and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something
    learn as much about it as you can
    knoweledge conquers fear.

Hi jay,

I've had social anxiety since my mid to late teens (I'm 30 now) and earlier this year I had some cognitive behavioural therapy which has helped an awful lot. The doctor put me on some meds and until recently I have been seeing a counsellor too. Acupuncture seems to help with relieving my anxiety when it is at it's worst.

I can relate to your on off feelings as well. Some days I have no problems whatsoever with going into town and other days I just dread even the idea.

I find it helps to chat to people who are going through or have experienced anxiety/panic attacks and everyone is very friendly and supportive on this site.

Hi Jay and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and make some great friends too![^]

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

Welcome Jay

Some therapy such as CBT would allow you to examine your issues more closely and try to decipher the triggers that allow you to be ok one day but not the next.

It is likely that you do have deeply rooted triggers which mould your thoughts and internal images which then start off physical reactions.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Jay,
    Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice and make some good friends here.

Take Care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Thanks to all of you
    Its nice to know that there are people who can understand and can listen to problems that we can all relate to.

Cheers

Hi Jay

You're definitely not alone with these problems....like you, I have good and bad days. I am reading a really good book at the moment called 'Overcoming Low Self-Esteem' by Melanie Fennell. It's based on CBT and you have to do mental exercises in it which really makes you analyse the way you react to things. It teaches you ways of changing your pattern of thinking and I'm finding it so helpful.

PM me anytime if you feel like a chat, take care

Jem xxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information