Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching from Citalopram to Escitalopram?

Re: Switching from Citalopram to Escitalopram?

This is a bit off topic, but I must say that I'm almost shocked to hear that doctors withhold medications they know will go easier on the patient just because they're more expensive. I would pay five times the price of Cipralex for a med I knew would get me back on my feet again - that would be cheaper than not being able to work because of unbearable side effects. At least patients should be given a choise.

I have just changed from cital to escital. Did anyone get side effects changing?what were they? Gone straight from 40 mg cital to liquid 1 ml. today. Hope its better for anxiety and panic

Quote Originally Posted by reallyfedup View Post
    I have just changed from cital to escital. Did anyone get side effects changing?what were they? Gone straight from 40 mg cital to liquid 1 ml. today. Hope its better for anxiety and panic
    I am now 2 and half weeks from changing onto escital and anxiety and panic have shot through the roof. Dr told me to go up to 2 ml ie 20 mg, so any advice welcomed please. Will it help. How long? Side effects? Should I do it slowly? Thanks x

Hi. Its generally recognised that chemically Esc = 2 * Cit. Since it lacks the 50% of R-Citalopram which is not beneficial. It may even be more than twice as effective as the R-Cit is not getting in the way or producing extra side effects.

This means your does of 1ml = 10mg would have been about half of the equivalent to the dose of Citalopram that you had before. 10mg is the normal staring dose for Esc, but on someone coming off 40mg Cit it does look a bit low. Did the Dr just stop Cit and replace it with Esc, or did you tapper across (reducing one and increasing the other)?

There is some debate in the literature as to how much 20mg Esc is any stronger than 10mg. From personal experience the chemistry and side effects are stronger on 20mg, although I'm less sure about the benefits being double. I class Esc as a very effective anti-depressant, but only a bit effective against my severe GAD. It does actually have clinical claims in its specification for a number of anxiety disorders, which is more than you can say for many SSRIs. Also most of the comparison studies of SSRIs look at their anti-depressant effect not their effect on anxiety.

Drs seem to assume the SSRIs are identical when it suits them, but if they were there would not be so many of them in use. The different meds strive for the same effect but (may) produce it in a different way; which would suit different patients. Eg. Even the manufacturer can't quite explain why "Esc > 2 * Cit." , different studies reaching different rationalisations even though these two have the closest chemical similarity.

When I went up to 20mg I did it in a single step - although perhaps uniquely my GP had me take 10mg twice a day rather than 20gm in one go. This was completely off-packet as the specification always says to take a single daily dose. I suspect 20mg lengthens the duration of the full effect of the med, rather than increasing the peak effectiveness, but that's just a guess on my part. I did find I had to skip 10mg occasionally as a migrainy headache developed after about 7-10 days which cleared after the missed dose. Kind of implied I was full of either the medication or Serotonin
    after about a week!

In short you may be ok doing it in one go. Maths suggests its about a week for your body levels to catch up with the change in dose. Clearly the full benefit must take a bit longer than that, even on just a dosage increase.
    In this post I summarised my ongoing side effects at the point I switched off the Escitalopram.

Take Care

thanks for your reply x

Hi, I was interested when I came across this forum as I have recently been prescribed escitalpram as my previous AD citalopram didn't seem to be as effective as it had previously. I have spent most of my adult life on anti ds and as a recovering alcoholic have spent many a time struggling with depression anxiety and life in general. Most recently I found that although I was on 60mg of citalopram I was feeling total despair. After a long discussion with my GP she advised I switch to 20mgs of escitalopram as I didn't need have a break inbetween meds. To date I have to say I am beginning to feel more normal, although I still have a way to go with my alcohol recovery. So in summary I would highly recommend at least discussing escitaopram with your GP as anything has got to be better than sitting on the edge of the blackhole!

Hi,I'm currently on Amitriptyline 100mg at night,also Temazepam 15mg.I was going to ask my G.P if I could start taking Escitalopram as my anxiety,panic attacks are becoming unbearable during the day.Does any body know if you can take Temazepam as well.Many Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information