Thread: Default Do you ever worry if you don't enjoy a certain thing enough?

Default Do you ever worry if you don't enjoy a certain thing enough?

That's the thing: my mind is threatening to lose interest in certain things and when I try to enjoy them, there's a brain fog that comes over me that makes me worry I don't enjoy them enough. Like, when an intrusive thought is coming on, at least I know I could just enjoy stuff despite the nervousness. This theme, on the other hand, is deliberately targeting the things I enjoy.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

bump

Re: Default Do you ever worry if you don't enjoy a certain thing enough?

bumpity...

Let me admit what a big problem here is: when I try to enjoy something, a brain fog comes over me and makes me enjoy it less and makes me want to repeat something all over and over again to see if I enjoy it enough. Sometimes, I forget what I'm supposed to be nervous about and just wind up enjoying what I want to enjoy, but then I suddenly remember and now I can't anymore.

BTW, if I try to focus on other things, will I forget this?

I used to have this theme too... not as directly as you but as a part of my obsession about becoming depressed or suicidal. I used to check if I enjoy the things that I normally enjoy or if the thing I find meaningful feel meaningful.

But as it is with any other theme, the pattern in this one is still the same. You experience an uncertainty and you react to it with compulsions. You check, you rationalize, you debate, you seek for reassurance trying to make this uncertainty go away. But the more you engage in compulsions, the stronger the obsession gets. Try going for uncertainty period - not just this one theme. Find out how you react to any uncertainty. You might find that you don't know how to take the uncertainty with you without trying to solve it. Living with uncertainty however is the key to teach our brain to react in a much healthier way. Don't chase feelings and don't chase certainty.

Thread Information