Thread: Cystoscopy....Help!!!

Unhappy Cystoscopy....Help!!!

Hi all,

Maybe this is one for the guys...i don't know if the procedure feels the same for both men and women...I have seen my urologist this morning and he wants to do a flexible cystoscopy (telescope into bladder) next week.
    Even though he has explained the procedure and i believe it is routine i am absolutely terrified of what they may find, something going wrong or probably biggest fear...fealing pain. They are doing it with local anaesthetic gel. Reading through other people's posts i notice that some people have had this done. Can anybody offer any reassurement please..? I cannot believe that such a procedure could be without significant pain and at this moment i am unsure as to whether i can face going through with it.

Thanks in advance,

CW

Re: Cystoscopy....Help!!!

Hi
    havnt had it done but i have seen the procedure carried out loads of times and i have never found anyone yet who said it was extremely painful. The local gel works pretty well and the procedure only takes a matter of minutes, your anxiety will give you more bother than the scope itself will. It is slightly more uncomfortable for men than women due to the obviously longer urethra, try not to worry too much, the urologists love this procedure and would scope everyone if given half the chance.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Hi,

Will make this quick as I'm at work, any questions then PM me.

I had this done last year, not as bad as I was expecting at all, does not take long either, the only pain I got was trying to go the toilet after, it just stung.

Red

hi,
    having worked in theatres i have seen this procedure lots of times . it takes about 5 mins and never have i seen a patient who was in any kind off pain.

good luck

Thankyou for the replies everyone.

I have decided i am going to ask (insist if i can?) for a sedative beforehand, since without it i am convinced that i will shake myself off the table onto the floor with fear!

Has anybody had a sedative before a procedure like this..? I am now worrying what the effects of the sedative will be...will it work? Will it make me feel sick or have other bad side effects...etc...? What if they won't give me one?

Can anybody reassure me?

Thanks,

CW

Hi I had a cystoscopy last year. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. A little uncomfortable and then needing the loo a lot afterwards. Everything was fine on mine, no problems at all. I found it fascinating to look at the images and to know asap that everything was fine. They give you a local anaesthetic, I didn't have a sedation. Hope all goes well

This too will pass

Hi everyone,
    I faced my fear and had the cystoscopy yesterday. Thankfully everything was completely fine. The results were normal.
    For the benefit of anybody else who may be undergoing this procedure i just wanted to add my experience. Though it may seem daunting, it is very quick and whilst uncomfortable, not really painful. I even managed to get through it without a sedation...just local anaesthetic. It is certainly worthwhile...for the sake of five minutes, it gives complete peace of mind afterwards.

Thanks again to everyone who supported me with this, your reassurement helped get me through it.

CW

x

Hi
    thats good news, i knew you could do it
    congrats.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Thread Information