Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 4 of Citalopram - need a bit of advice please

Week 4 of Citalopram - need a bit of advice please

Hi everyone

I'll have been taking Citalopram for 4 weeks on Thursday. The first couple of weeks were rough, as everyone knows can be and got through them with the help of Lorazepam (which I'm still taking down to Docs advice). Week 3 I thought I'd cracked it - felt so much more like my old self .. even the mornings didn't seem so daunting.

Now, however, I seem to have taken a backwards step and feel quite edgey and 'down' again. Has anyone else had the same problem and will it improve please? I'm due to go see Doc tomorrow and wondered if he might suggest increasing the dose?

Any help would really be appreciated, thanks

Re: Week 4 of Citalopram - need a bit of advice please

hi caz,

im on week 7 i think, and last week hosp increased my dose to 30mg as i was still aggitated. this week since the increase im still a bit on edge at times, but im sleeping so much. i dont feel safe to drive either. my gp says that this is good as its sedating my body, allowing me time to heal. he says that the effect will ease as my body becomes used to the meds.

if i were u chat honestly to gp and they may increase ur dose. i do feel a bit scared at all the sleep, but i trust my doctors and believe that this is necessary to break the anx cycle.

i would just go with gps advice, after all nothing is as bad as permanent anx hype and no sleep etc.

keep in touch and feel free to pm,

milly xx
    Last edited by milly jones; 12-05-08 at 11:39. Reason: spelling sorry

Quote Originally Posted by milly jones View Post
    hi caz,

im on week 7 i think, and last week hosp increased my dose to 30mg as i was still aggitated. this week since the increase im still a bit on edge at times, but im sleeping so much. i dont feel safe to drive either. my gp says that this is good as its sedating my body, allowing me time to heal. he says that the effect will ease as my body becomes used to the meds.

if i were u chat honestly to gp and they may increase ur dose. i do feel a bit scared at all the sleep, but i trust my doctors and believe that this is necessary to break the anx cycle.

i would just go with gps advice, after all nothing is as bad as permanent anx hype and no sleep etc.

keep in touch and feel free to pm,

milly xx
    Thanks Milly, I'll definately talk honestly to my doc tomorrow. I don't mind feeling sleepy - I'm waking up at 4am and unable to get back to sleep every morning at the moment

I'll let you know how I get on

hey hun, been thru that 4am feeling too.

i go sleep at 11pm and wake at around 9am now no wake ups.

the doc said it will improve as my body gets used to meds. but like u say sleepy is preferable to anx at night.

take care hun

milly xxx

Hi Caz

I am also taking citalopram but I am now 3 months into taking the tablets. I can understand how you feel as the same had happened to me. But stick with it and you will get there.

I found I had my ups and downs before things really started improving but each down didn't feel as bad as the last one and gradually things have improved.

I found the sleepiness went and I could actually concentrate enough to drive again!! Just try and see each down as a blip on your way to the top.

Stick with it

xc

Hi Caz303,

All the symptoms you described, I have experienced. I went on citalopram as of Aug last year. Doc said it would take at least 2 weeks to have effect,
    but I think symptoms changed probably for the first couple of months. Nothing too terrible, just the waking and other odd things.
    Knowing how I feel now, I am really glad I stuck with them and think
    you should try and do the same.
    My body is not tired and I feel rested, something I havent experienced in years. I am not so irritable, and able to be generally more tolerant of situations.
    Stick with it and best of luck.

J

Thank you everyone for your lovely and uplifting replies

Been to docs this morning and he's doubled my dose to 40mg so we'll see what happens now

Thank you again all .... I'll report back

Caz
    x

Hiya,

I concur with all said in the replies. I am now into week thirteen and like many of us, I wanted the 'quick fix' but in a strange sort of way it has been comforting to know I have improved gradually and with subtle changes here and there.
    One cannot move forward after suffering positions as ours without some ups and downs. Sort of like crawling up a dinosaurs back
    I am pleased you remain positive and the rewards will be worth it - stick in there.

All the very Best

(roy)

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

Day 3 of 40mg and feeling OK and quite positive

Hi caz303

Keep with them.

You will look back in a while and realise that things have changed quite a bit.

Gud luck

Jackie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information