Thread: scared panicy because of esa and medical

scared panicy because of esa and medical

hi im new to this got myself in a real mess and no one to tuen to im a single parent and my son is 9 ,i had to change benfits so my doc told me to apply for esa as iv suffererd depression anxiarty and agoraphobia for years now ,applied for esa about a mth ago since i have not recieved any money or heard anything been asked to go for a medical but i was petrified og going and gettn there as i dont drive have no one to go with etc ,so my doc faxed them over a note to say my situation and that i wasnt fit to travel ,now had a letter bk today saying its not good enough and i still have to attend,, i dont get it what do they want im in a worse state now and took more antidepressants to try and calm down

Re: scared panicy because of esa and medical

You need to get back in touch with your doctor and ask if there's anything more he can do. If he says you're not fit to travel, then the assessors should come to you, but Atos, the company in charge, are notoriously unsympathetic. You ask what do they want -- well, they want to deny you ESA, that's what they want. Unfortunately, the government are currently re-defining illness to exclude depression and anxiety, so you may have a fight on your hands to get any benefit at all. They'll expect you to claim Job Seeker's Allowance and to jump through hoops in order to survive. If you are able, you should get welfare rights advice from the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a mental health pressure group like MIND. Good luck.

thanks for ur reply i got in touch with asos and told them that all the drama is making me worse etc anyway hes offered to get a second opinion from another of there medical doctors about a home visit but he said obviously there is no guarentee so i guess its a waiting game ... in mean time as i have no benefits coming in now have housing benefit and coucil tax on my case i jus feel more n more depressed i jus t think its hard for ppl to understand if they have never been through this :(

sweetie, i am having a nightmare with Atos so have a look through my posts. I wont share my opinion of Atos I would be kicked off here.

I have sick notes going back 3 months and still no money!!!! My partner is doing his pieces!!!!!
    Get in touch with your GP and ask him to request for a home visit - its your only option.

The guy who actually did my medical ws lovely and clever, he knew how to ask questions that I could only answer if I had a true understanding of anxiety. He also told me I would have to fight for my benefit but I had to do it as going to work just know would just make things worse. Not that I could get there.

It all takes time though, I phoned DWP on friday to see what was happening, they were no use either!!!!!!

Anxiety and depression are real and suffering is horrible who would want to live like this for a laugh?????????lol

Hope this helps hunxx

Thanks so much for ur reply hun i will have a look through ur thread ,im still none the wiser im too scared to ring benefits up incase they say something that i cant handle its so hard jus dont know how to cope with it all :(

There was an item on the news about this a couple of days ago. A large number of people are being turned down for benefits through this system, but about 40% of those who appeal are winning their appeals, which demonstrates quite well that the original assessment system clearly isn't fit for purpose.

For your immediate problem though, if they really won't co-operate with a home visit, is there someone who could go with you? Something like this is never as bad if there's someone else on hand.

Oh Sammy I really do sympathise with you. The way the whole ESA system is set up is enough to push a person right over the edge. I applied for it in May 2009 and didn't get a medical until July 2010 and only then as I finally got the CAB involved.

If it is too much for you try the CAB for help. The whole process will make you ill so you need all of the support you can possibly get. It really does feel like the whole world is against us sometimes but you are entitled to your benefits and you need them so try not to be put off.

It is a battle but it is one that can be won.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thread Information