Thread: Anxiety and IBS

Anxiety and IBS

Years ago i went to the hospital for tests and checks because i was having pain 'down below' and was convinced that i had cervical cancer or something equally hideous that meant i couldn't have kids after a bout a hundred diagnosis and several medications later i was diagnosed with IBS, i really thought that that's what they diagnose when they dont know what it is, i dont take anything for it and im mostly fine it's pretty mild, when i have to 'go' i really have to 'go' or it hurts like hell but other than that im fine.

Now my anxiety has really flared up recently and i've just this morning noticed that so has my IBS im 'going' way more than normal and i feel like i need to go even if i dont.

Is IBS linked to anxiety? some sites on the tinterweb say it is but it's all a bit wishy washy, maybe it is maybe it's not, i dont want to just assume that everything i have is anxiety linked, but im noticing way more physical symptoms than ever before, shoulder and jaw pain for example i've never noticed before, tension headaches, chest tightness, throat weirdness i've always suffered from but a lot of this stuff is new to me, and i want to make sure it's normal, i've just upped my Citalopram dosage and have just been given Propanolol so just checking these things are not side effects that i should be concerned about.

Sorry for the long graphic post but i have to give full disclousure

Re: Anxiety and IBS

Yes if you suffer from IBS, anxiety and stress can make it worse. I have IBS and it's always worse them i'm stressed. Sometimes i look about 6months pregant, because my stomach bloats so much.

Re: Anxiety and IBS

Ah ok so *if* you suffer it's worse at times of stress, but anxiety doesn't cause it per se? Ok well that makes sense i guess, i've never really noticed it before, im not normally 'with it' enough to take note of what's happening.
    I feel like i need to be aware of what's going on and what's directly linked to the Depression and Anxiety as i have been refered to Atos and if i can say that anxiety makes the IBS worse so when im at work i need more loo breaks it goes in my favour, im not saying i want to get my excuses in early but if it's all linked it needs to be said.

Thanks

Thread Information