Thread: Sleep paralysis or apnea?

Sleep paralysis or apnea?

These episodes only happen every few months not often. I wake up and can't move or speak or breathe. Last time it felt like something was squeezing my heart. Sometimes I have pvc's which scare me SO badly. This is probably because I read about Amanda Peterson dying young and I'm scared I have what she did. I'm hoping I have sleep paralysis and not sleep apnea. I don't snore and I'm not overweight. Any experiences like this?

Re: Sleep paralysis or apnea?

You do get associated sensations with sleep paralysis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnag...leep_paralysis

Sleep paralysis
    Humming, roaring, hissing, rushing, zapping, and buzzing noises are frequent in conjunction with sleep paralysis. This happens when the REM atonia sets in sooner than usual, before the person is fully asleep, or persists longer than usual, after the person has (in other respects) fully awoken. Sleep paralysis is reportedly very frequent among narcoleptics. It occurs frequently in about 6% of the rest of the population, and occurs occasionally in 60%. In surveys from Canada, China, England, Japan and Nigeria, 20 to 60% of individuals reported having experienced sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime.The paralysis itself is frequently accompanied by additional phenomena. Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric "tingles" or "vibrations", imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings. Sleep paralysis has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences, the Night Hag and shadow people hauntings.

Hypnogogia and hypnopompia are quite common across the general population, not just anxiety sufferers and science explains how it is a natural functioning state.

Thread Information