Thread: Hallucination

Hallucination

I've posted on this forum before but whether or not that needs regarding, this is serious.

I was in the bed with my girlfriend two days after a serious alcohol binge (I went for nearly five days drinking vodka perpetually). The hangover was so bad I thought I was going mad, however this incident had been after a full day of seeming recovery, functioning and laughter. It was 8am in the morning and I was talking to her, I got up and the window light was glowing intense, it got brighter and brighter and shifted to different colours. I meant to turn around to her and tell her what had happened. She appeared in the bed with the head of a plastic doll and I screamed, then the sheets lifted up as a body inflated beneath it. I was screaming and I closed my eyes and she was asking me what was wrong. Apparently I had been kicking her ankles.

I lied in bed for an hour after while she supported me. I was scared it'd happen again. She supposed I had schizophrenia but I know that's not true seeing as this is the only time I've had a true, terrifying hallucination.

I'm wondering if this is only due to my alcohol binge earlier or if this is a permanent condition. I was alcoholic (in which terms I am meaning alcohol dependant) from September last year till March this year, before I detoxed. I think it has done damage to my mind

What are your thoughts?

Re: Hallucination

Wow Lizard

I know you've been hospitalized before and it helped you. This is far beyond the scope of a forum to be honest. IMO, based on what I've read recently, for your safety, the safety of others and for your life, I would seriously consider going back into the hospital. This appears to be quite a serious situation and with each post it's appears to be getting worse.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Haloperidol has hallucinations as a Less Common side effect which is states should be checked with a doctor. Fluoxetine has it listed as a Rare side effect.

you can have hallucinations upon going to sleep or within the first 2 hours of sleep (hynagogia) or upon waking (hynopompia) and these are perfectly normal recorded phenomena experienced by anybody hence are not an issue that can be treated as they are part of how our brains work in those stages.

Alcohol can increase the effects of both your meds though making side effects more likely.

Alcohol and hallucinations are well known, when intoxicated or withdrawing.

I really really think you need to speak to a doctor. What does your mum think as she worked hard to get you into that assisted accomodation rather than a detox centre?

Have you been taking any recreational drugs as well? I remember you mentioning wanted to do this in one of your more recent threads.

I'm not going back to hospital. I was there for three weeks, all they do is take care of you and sedate you if you're violent.

I haven't had any hallucinations since.

I am aware of hypnogogia, but this was completely different. I'd been awake for a bit and it took control of me when I stood up. It was a nightmare.

I am in supported living. Currently they're just coming round to give me my meds at the door, just only that. I'm on thiamine, propranolol, sertraline, olanzapine. I think that's it. I don't know seeing as ALL medications of a therapeutic sort seem to be gradual but I think the olanzapine is helping a lot. I've been on the sertraline for a while but I can't see it making any difference after about May this year. The propranolol I know from experience helps, even more than the lorazepam when I was on it, it's a miracle drug. I do get nightmares, but they're not normal nightmares, they're dreams that are so detailed they're indistinguishable from reality.

I think they would be very concerned about the binging SL. Whether hospital is required is up to them but at the least they could offer you more outpatient support perhaps?

I'm not against drinking on some of these meds, dependent on someone being at a good recovery point, but the way you have been drinking is dangerous on it's own and I wonder about the impact of your meds. Some meds increase the alcohol, some have their effects increased and for some it's an increase for both. I would have to check on yours to understand this, but it does worry me in your case.

You would need to avoid my med, Duloxetine, like the plague as it's associated with liver disease in heavy drinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifting Lizard View Post
    I'm not going back to hospital. I was there for three weeks, all they do is take care of you and sedate you if you're violent.

I haven't had any hallucinations since.

I am aware of hypnogogia, but this was completely different. I'd been awake for a bit and it took control of me when I stood up. It was a nightmare.

I am in supported living. Currently they're just coming round to give me my meds at the door, just only that. I'm on thiamine, propranolol, sertraline, olanzapine. I think that's it. I don't know seeing as ALL medications of a therapeutic sort seem to be gradual but I think the olanzapine is helping a lot. I've been on the sertraline for a while but I can't see it making any difference after about May this year. The propranolol I know from experience helps, even more than the lorazepam when I was on it, it's a miracle drug. I do get nightmares, but they're not normal nightmares, they're dreams that are so detailed they're indistinguishable from reality.
    Hi Lizard, when you say they're not normal nightmares but they're dreams that are so detailed they're indistinguishable from reality...

How do you mean?
    What are you seeing?
    What are you hearing?
    Are entities appearing to you?
    What happens during these dreams?

Hi Shapeshifter,

If it's hallucinations after a five-day binge, it sounds like classic delirium tremens. It's not unlike a short bout of schizophrenia. It's not permanent, but can be dangerous at the time and should be managed by medical staff while you detox.

Also, I believe a mild case of delirium tremens is an indicator of worsening cases if you have to detox again in the future.

The good news is that you seem to come off the binge, so best of luck with that.

Thread Information