Thread: How long did it take for your globus to become tolerable?

Unhappy How long did it take for your globus to become tolerable?

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all as well as possible!

I've never had globus before - it started around four weeks ago, and became much more noticeable about a couple of weeks ago.

When I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago, he said globus due to anxiety - however as I'm burping a lot lately and have bouts of my heartburn, I wonder whether it's down to silent reflux. Three GPs have checked my throat now (nothing abnormal found on the outside), I've recently had full bloods that all came back clear (and I also saw ENT about a month ago for my sinuses, and they briefly looked down my throat - no camera).

I've started taking Omeprazole again about three days ago, and am doing other things to improve my diet etc (such as cutting out dairy, eating smaller meals more regularly etc).

If you have had globus due to reflux, roughly how long did it take for it to become tolerable?

I HATE this feeling of a lump in my throat. It's the worst feeling ever. I feel like I'm going to gag a lot of the time, it's just so unnerving.

Thank you so much in advance xox

Re: How long did it take for your globus to become tolerable?

Did your ENT spot acidity signs in your throat, or did he suggest reflux at all?

I ask because a few months ago I also had a strong globus sensation that everybody thought it was due to reflux, they gave me pantoprazole and I was on it for a couple of weeks until I just dropped it because I didn't see any improvements. After a few more weeks, though, the globus sensation just disappeared for no apparent reason.

The most likely thing is that your globus is also caused by anxiety. In my case it lasted for two months in total, and it got worse before it got better. Perhaps you're at that point now.

If it isn't anxiety and it is reflux, then you should see improvements in about 1 week, according to several sites.

Hey Androidz!

Thanks so much for your response!

ENT didn't say anything about my throat, no. Although...I was there for sinus issues, so it was a very quick glance at my throat, so not sure if they even knew that I have a history of heartburn.

I do tend to have heartburn, but not all the time.

Either way, it's so reassuring to hear that yours just disappeared.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience!

I have had it pretty severely over the last six months or so and it still gets me panicky sometimes.

But I've found that exercise, heating pads and stretching/massage has really eased the tension. I felt so happy - I walked my dog for about 45 minutes today in the brisk cold and it was beautiful, I didn't think about my HA or globus one single time! (I realized that after I came inside.)

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due."
    William Ralph Inge

mine has become a little more tolerable especially after being put on omeprazole but its never gone away for me at least not yet,
    i'd say mine became tolerable after a year(only because thats as long as it took me to figure out i had reflux lol)
    but if that wasn't the case then i'd say it did after a month or so x

Thread Information