Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Support thread: Balance Issues/Dizziness/Brain Fog

Arrow Support thread: Balance Issues/Dizziness/Brain Fog

Hi all,

Thought it might be good to create a centralized place those who are going through balance issues, or dizziness issues could work through their progress.

In particular, I'm hoping to connect people who understand that their issues are caused by anxiety. (Not searching for phantom illnesses, inner ear issues, etc.)

Rather... those who accept that this is a symptom of anxiety and stress, albeit very difficult to deal with, and difficult to believe anxiety/stress can do these things.

I'm a couple months into my journey of overcoming balance issues, and learning to live with it day by day. But I'm curious to hear other stories. Certainly any success, but all stories are good.

Is anyone going through balance issues/dizziness as a main symptom/condition right now? How are you working through this issue?

Re: Support thread: Balance Issues/Dizziness/Brain Fog

hi l can totally relate to you l too suffer dizziness and balance issues its bloody hell,this is my worst symptoms l hate it, l am very bad at the moment my anxiety is sky high loads going on,l have had to apcept this is part of my anxiety l push myself everyday,otherwise I would just take to the house again l think the hardest thing for us to believe is that it is anxiety and we need to keep telling ourselves that and fighting it l have been like this for years but l wont give in to it l guess this is me hope you're getting some help xx

Hi Mrs. Stress...

Sorry to hear you're having a hard go if it. It's certainly one of those symptom sets that can cause us grief.

I'll bet though.... you've found that at times, it's not as bad as other times? Perhaps you've had time periods where it eased off, or maybe you forget about it. This is common. I've had bouts of balance problems come and go over the years with stress disorder. But, this time it is kind of sticky.

So, I'm trying to give it space.

As you said... the more we fight against it, the worse it gets. We aren't in danger, we're in discomfort. That's a big distinction. That said it can be hard, and it takes time and patience.

One thing I'd metion is that we should all be aware here of a few things..

1. Anxiety can CAUSE dizziness. Those who constantly need to look for a "reason" for it are usually just... experiencing anxiety.

2. The condition is somtimes called "Psychogenic Dizzinesss" or PPDS. (Psycho-physiological Dizziness Sydnrome. These are medical ways to say... balance issues caused by stress that aren't the result of anything "broken" or dangerous going on in us. I don't recommend googling ever, but if you need to... look those up. They explain how this can be a product of stress, anxiety, psychological factors. (I'd suspect in 95% of the cases you see on this forum... that's what it is... not ear problems or phantom issues.)

I'm working on using good self talk about it, and focusing outward. Keeping involved in my day and in my tasks. I find this usually helps quite a bit. I walk every morning and I feel off balance and foggy, but I do it anyway... and often by mid-day things are much better as I do my work, etc.

Hang in there. This is a process.

Curious to hear others' stories as well. This is temporary. If you've been through stress disorder you know things change. So, we need patience and self-kindness.

many thanks for your kind words and encouragement it is awful as we both know but hopefully we can overcome this horrible debilitating condition take care and keep going you are in tbe right mind set

Hi,

JUst checking in as a fellow sufferer of brain fog / head presssure / balance issues. Am on meds but still the problem seems to persist....

One of my key causes seems to be.....people ! I find a lot of people untolerable from being arrogant / ignorant / small minded or just outright rude. There are a lot of good people out there but they are far outnumbered, I have no doubt on my drive home from work I will be tailgated or have to put up with some sort of other moronic behaviour.

Hi,
    this is one of my symptoms I get every now and then. Sometimes it's a 'room spinning' kind of dizzyness when I'm just sitting down or getting up. At other times it's an unbalanced, 'walking on a boat' kind of feeling. I work in a supermarket and I have a feeling that the bright lights/noise/intense colours don't help

Quote Originally Posted by vicky23 View Post
    Hi,
    this is one of my symptoms I get every now and then. Sometimes it's a 'room spinning' kind of dizzyness when I'm just sitting down or getting up. At other times it's an unbalanced, 'walking on a boat' kind of feeling. I work in a supermarket and I have a feeling that the bright lights/noise/intense colours don't help
    Hi Vicky,

Those are very very common... and symptoms increasing when you're at at the store... or in open spaces is also comon and medically explainable. In open spaces with high stimulation, our brains have less relative data to create balance. When we are near walls... etc.. the brain uses those to "ping" of for balance. When in wide open spaces with visual challenges, it makes it harder. (Same reason it's harder to close your eyes and stay balanced.) The good news is that it's harmless.

The boaty symptom you describe... is also very common for PPDS.

Here is a great thread about PPDS:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads...ome-ppds.4599/

TMS is a condition much like anxiety, mentally based... and involves the body creating symptoms to distract us from mental pain/fear, etc. It's basically just another way to frame anxiety disorder.

I highly suggest people who are reading this read about PPDS, psyghogenic dizziness, etc.

Hello all. Yes I suffered from every type of balance/dizziness issue and spent several years testing everything from brain, ears, heart etc. I had brain fog, spinning (a few times), the walking on water feeling, the room moving when I lie down, the split second feeling of dropping, you name it.
    I was terrified of these symptoms and developed agoraphobia as a result. It took ages to understand that these were just anxiety symptoms. (When i say "just", it's not to belittle anxiety, it's to mean no other medical problems.) I listened to audios by Claire Weekes (life saver) and slowly became less scared of the symptoms. And what would you know? The less scared of the symptoms I became, the less they came.
    I still get some dizziness if i'm particularly stressed or before my period but it no longer sends me straight to bed terrified. I carry on with my day and they just go away. I hope this helps people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bchrismar View Post
    Hi Vicky,

Those are very very common... and symptoms increasing when you're at at the store... or in open spaces is also comon and medically explainable. In open spaces with high stimulation, our brains have less relative data to create balance. When we are near walls... etc.. the brain uses those to "ping" of for balance. When in wide open spaces with visual challenges, it makes it harder. (Same reason it's harder to close your eyes and stay balanced.) The good news is that it's harmless.

The boaty symptom you describe... is also very common for PPDS.

Here is a great thread about PPDS:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads...ome-ppds.4599/

TMS is a condition much like anxiety, mentally based... and involves the body creating symptoms to distract us from mental pain/fear, etc. It's basically just another way to frame anxiety disorder.

I highly suggest people who are reading this read about PPDS, psyghogenic dizziness, etc.

Fascinating stuff thanks for sharing!

Great story Buttercookie.

That recognition of what it is is such a huge part of getting the brain to turn off these warning signals, of sorts. (Symptoms) Great to hear you have things back on track, and like you... I've seen many symptoms come and go when we do the right work.

Interestingly, I was reading about post-concussion syndrome and they now believe that this is also "functional/psychogenic" as well. In other words, the brain turns on and leaves on symptoms... just like in anxiety disorder, related to our initial experience.

You can read about it here:
    http://www.neurosymptoms.org/#/post-...ome/4582101276

Note how the recovery process begins with an understanding... and a belief that you aren't damaged and can improve. That's because so much of this is learned behavior. Neural pathways.

Claire Weeks is the best, by the way. Hopefully no one is reading any of these posts who hasn't read her books at least once. Her books are mandatory, immediate reading for anyone who has found themselves in a stress disorder. (Anxiety, panic, health anxiety, dizziness, etc.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information