Thread: My latest worry - legionnaires

My latest worry - legionnaires

I've just cleaned out an old water bottle that was sat around for a few days.

Whilst cleaning with hot water I got a faceful of steam and inhaled some - now I'm bloody terrified about legionnaires.

The water bottle had a bit of water and cordial juice in it before I emptied and cleaned it.

I can't find much online about legionnaires and water bottles... am I at any risk here?

Re: My latest worry - legionnaires

Hi Kalny, try not to worry it is extremely unlikely and if you do come face to face with legionnaires it's more likely to affect those with weak immune systems or the elderly.

I don't know much about legionnaires but I thought it comes from bacteria spread in pools, ponds, air conditioning etc?

Can I ask how you thought about legionnaires?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Can I ask how you thought about legionnaires?
    I heard about it a long time ago, I think. It's worried me before!

It's one of those things I think that has always been in the back of my mind as it's a potentially serious illness. My anxiety is based around fears of catching serious illnesses or developing serious conditions.

As with a situation like this my mind tends to spiral out of control and I end up obsessively worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by kalny View Post
    As with a situation like this my mind tends to spiral out of control and I end up obsessively worrying.
    Knowing this is how you irrationally react to situations like this, are you really truly at risk for some impossibly rare illness? (yes or no answer - no "what ifs" or "yeah buts")

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Oddly enough, this subject has crossed my mind recently - my boiler has been out of service for four months now and I too am wondering if Legionnaires would be an issue when I mend it as none of the hot taps have been used in that time. I know builders are supposed to remove unused water pipes from properties to prevent this.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Read the link, thanks.

Now, I see "showers and taps" and think "yes, that's where I'd expect it". I also see "very rare" but that gets interpreted as "...but not impossible, and my hot water system has been out of action for four months thus giving bacteria a chance."...

I don’t know if this will be helpful,but I actually know 4 people who got legionnaires. When my cousin got married, the whole bridal party stayed at this old fancy hotel. Well the AC system was also really old and not up to code. Anyway that’s how it was spread and 4 people, including the groom (my cousin) got sick. He came down with symptoms on his honeymoon. His mother and father and some other person also got sick. They all recovered after receiving treatment in the hospital. The grooms dad (my great uncle) had compromised health and was wheelchair bound from a previous stroke and he recovered too. So even if by some crazy and very unlikely chance you got it, it’s treatable.

Also I’ll add that 3/4 were smokers. I’m not sure about the 4th person bc I didn’t know that person.

Edit; I just asked my mom. Only my uncle had to be hospitalized. So that should make you feel even better. The others were treated at home with antibiotics.
    Last edited by AnxiousJamie; 23-07-18 at 01:53.

Thanks AnxiousJamie, that's reassuring.

Thread Information