Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gagging In The Morning HELP!!!

Gagging In The Morning HELP!!!

Help, I'm gagging in the mornings and it's really scaring me.

Kind Regards,

LegallyBlonde.

Re: Gagging In The Morning HELP!!!

had a quick look through other posts and "gagging" in the morning seems quite a common reaction to anxiety
    The advice on other posts has been to drink some water - slooowly - and relax your breathing.
    I hope this helps
    June

Ir was constantly gagging for a few days when my anxiety was at its height it seems to be another annoying anxiety symptom along with a churning stomach even though I couldn't eat properly for a few day.s it is important to keep drinking.

Hope this helps try not to worry it is not a sign of anything sinister.

Heather

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Are you medication, LegallyBlonde? I had gagging in the mornings with Seroxat, Lustral, Celexa and Effexor (!) - apparently it is due to having an empty stomach. My psych has added another med on to take away the nausea.

If you aren't on meds it sounds like it's anxiety (unless you're pregnant). I get this too - and it's horrible. I try sipping 7-up to get a bit of sugar into my system.

Dahlia

I get this one too.... It's scary, unpleasant and socially unnacceptable - like most things! One thing that sometimes helps me is to glug a few mouthfuls of something fizzy and have a good burp !!

When my panic attacks were really bad I had a lot of retching/nausea and the doc prescribed...I think it was called Stemeril or something like that (can someone correct that?!) - it DID help though.

I've read elsewhere in here that adrenaline rushes causes blood to flow away from your stomach..it all seems to fit. Hope you find reassurance in the knowledge that you do not suffer alone - I know I did so thanks for posting!

Hi,

I too get this quite often and I know it is from anxiety. I try deep slow breathing to control mine and it often works. The trick is to focus. For me, if I were to try and drink something I would probably be ill, it is almost like having the dry heaves. Just awful stuff. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Laura

The anti-nausea/vertigo drug Notator mentioned is STEMETIL or PROCHLORPERAZINE (generic name). It's also mildly sedative, so I find it helpful as I suffer from a lot of nausea and occasional dizziness, especially first thing in the morning. I only take it when I need it. Hope this helps.

I am on no meds.

LegallyBlonde

Hi, do you smoke at all? i suffered from the gagging in the morning for about a year, even being sick some mornings, could not find a cause for it, blamed it on my anxiety and lack of sleep and then kinda accepted it...but when i gave up smoking a couple of weeks back it pretty much stopped immediately x

Leg. Blonde- I have always gagged in the AM. When my anxiety seems low, I gag from brushing my teeth. However, when I wake up with that sinking feeling...like I did this AM, my gagging will be worse and often lead to spitting up clear fluid. I notice that if I can get my mind onto something else, like typing you this post, it will go away right away. If I were to try and drink anything when in that moment, I would surely puke! My stomach is not sick when this happens. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information