Thread: I'm freaking out abou my throat symptoms.. Help!

I'm freaking out abou my throat symptoms.. Help!

So for the past week or so, I developed this annoying tickly feeling in my throat going down my upper chest... It feels like a feather is stroking around in there everytime I inhale.. Also I've been having globus hystericus almost everyday which is unsual because my main panic symptoms were always fast heart rate and dizziness, and yesterday I was at a show and had a HUGE panic attack and I felt like I was literally being strangled to death..

This sucks, and I was just getting over my health anxiety and these new symptoms show up and ruin everything. So in addition to these throat symptoms I also have: Dizziness, fast heart rate, IBS, faint feeling, occasional headache, constant feeling that I'm gonna die, muscle aches in the chest, back, shoulders, arms..

I need reassurance! I'm 19 years old, don't smoke, no diabetes, no family history of heart disease, not obese.

Re: I'm freaking out abou my throat symptoms.. Help!

hi
    sorry you are having so many problems at the minute anxiety is truly horrible and can cause so many different symptoms ive had all of the above and the throat one is nasty just when you get over one symptom another comes along i hope it settles for you soon

Globus Hysterics sucks, massively. You're not alone. I've had panic disorder for about 5 maybe 6 years now and the way it chooses to manifest has changed as new symptoms surface and old ones disappear. Yay me. Globus hysterics is a new one for me. I *thought* it was a side effect of my dodgy tonsils which were so large that they caused a breathing obstruction.

I only suffered GB at night as I started to fall asleep. Totally thought it was sleep apnea because the can't swallow/Catch my breath/Choking sensation would wake me up in the night...Then the tonsils came out. The symptoms abated for maybe a month or 2 until they started back up again.

Cue panic disorder--''OMG, It's esophageal cancer. Stomach cancer, Acid reflux has bored a hole through my wind pipe and I'm gonna suffocate etc etc.'' This of course made it worse and I started getting spasms during the day. Just here and there, randomly but I developed little methods of calming them. I always, ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me. Swallowing the water instantly alleviated it.

Then.. I suffered my first panic attack WITH GB while out for a drive with my family ( 3 days ago). I'm a New Yorker but I was driving on a dark, VERY narrow, English country road and my mother in law was really punching that accelerator. There I am in the backseat with my panic disorder. I stood no freaking chance.

It was by far the wost panic attack I've ever had. I literally peed my pants. Who does that?! Oh yeah, me. The choking feeling was overpowering. The bottle of water would work for 1.5 seconds but my mouth was so dry that it didn't do much. That strangling feeling you're talking about--yes! Totally and it was terrifying.

My tricks that actually do help; Sucking on breathmints. The constant swallowing helps with the spasms and the mint gives the illusion of getting more oxygen. Carry a bottle of water with you at all times. Keep one next to the bed if you need to and take a sip when you feel a spasm.

Check youtube for vids by a guy named Charles Linden. He posted one about Globus Hysterics. I'd post the link but I have less than 10 posts so I'm not allowed. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.. I don't panic as much about the lump feeling because I know it's related to panic and it's imaginary... but about the constant itchy tickly feeling in my throat? Can globus cause that too? I've been obssessing about this non stop for the past few days.. I only feel the lump sometimes, but the tickle is constant and only goes away when I'm fully distracted with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Scourge View Post
    Thanks for the reply.. I don't panic as much about the lump feeling because I know it's related to panic and it's imaginary... but about the constant itchy tickly feeling in my throat? Can globus cause that too? I've been obssessing about this non stop for the past few days.. I only feel the lump sometimes, but the tickle is constant and only goes away when I'm fully distracted with something.
    Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the tickling feeling you're experiencing. I can't say that that's something I'm familiar with. Everyones symptoms are different. I've definitely read threads regarding that sensation in conjunction with GB in other places so you're not alone in that one.

Thread Information