Thread: Freaking out about breast cancer (again)

Freaking out about breast cancer (again)

I googled increase risked for breast cancer (I know I shouldn't have). Two of the risk sent me into a frenzy. One of them is early period (got my period at 11). The other one is having a baby after 30 (I'm 29 now and probably won't be having a baby within the next year)

I'm going into a panic attack now. I'm so worried I'll wind up with cancer. And they said these risk factors increase your chances of breast cancer before menopause. Which could be anytime in the next 10-15 years for me.

I'm freaking out. I planned some goals within in the next 5 years. But now I feel like what's the point if I get cancer.

I've been going for yearly breast ultra sounds since I was 26 (healthy anxiety) but I also just read that breast cancer screening doesn't save lives and it's a myth that yearly screening cuts down on breast cancer related death.

How do I go on? This is all I think about now.

Re: Freaking out about breast cancer (again)

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Freaking out about breast cancer (again)

Girl, you are writing my story!

Just today I read something in the Daily Mail (NOOO) about how lots of young moms are now getting breast cancer and it's all because they had babies too late in life (the after 30 bit).

I had my first baby just after I turned 30, literally 2 weeks after, so I got pregnant at 29. My second came along at 33. We've been throwing around the idea of a third, but with those stats and my age (about to be 36) I'm seriously concerned I'm just signing myself up for breast cancer if I haven't already. I realize this is crazy and just health anxiety talking but you know how it goes. It really feels like "why even bother planning for the future??!"

I guess time will tell, but from what I understand it's mostly related to hormone receptor positive cancers that are sensitive to estrogen. Pregnancy and your regular monthly cycle can all influence these cancers due to extra estrogen. It does not impact hormone receptor negative cancers, which I think are less likely to occur in general. Hormone receptor positive cancers are "easier" to treat because if you limit estrogen exposure it will dramatically reduce their activity.

I dunno, it seems like all roads lead to breast cancer these days and that feeling is just sooo frustrating!

Thread Information