Thread: Convinced I have symptoms of Naegleria fowleri after shower

Convinced I have symptoms of Naegleria fowleri after shower

I moved into an old cottage recently in the middle of the countryside and in my first shower taken at the property I tilted my head back to wash my face and a dose of warm shower water ran straight up my nostrils and then down my throat which caused me to have a choking attack like you get when you swallow a drink or piece of food "down the wrong hole".

That was roughly 1.5 weeks ago and over the last few days I have developed cold/flu like symptoms; sore throat, headaches, body aches, fizzy sore sinus and a stiff neck.

Now my partner and family and even my work colleagues have all had colds recently so it wouldnt't surprise someone with a rational mind but now I am constantly worrying that it could be symptoms of an Naegleria fowleri brain infection.

The water is from the mains and I have read that UK water is treated but I am worried that because the property was empty for over a year before we moved in it could have been stagnant water in the pipes harbouring Naegleria fowleri.

I have read so many articles about Naegleria fowleri and the symptoms such as loss of smell and taste, nausea, feeling confused and audio and visual hallucinations and I feel like I have had a bit of all of them over the last few days especially the cold/flu like symptoms.

I have been in a bit of an anxious trance over the last 2 days like I am waiting for the end of the world, waiting for death to come knocking at my door, I am worried I will suddenly collapse and then it's lights out.

Am I at risk or am I losing my mind?

Re: Convinced I have symptoms of Naegleria fowleri after shower

Do you even get that in the UK?

It is associated with really warm water. I mean, I know it has moved north in the US, but the cases have mostly been in the deep south in the height of summer when water temps in lakes and such are high b/c of really high heat.

I would put that out of your mind, plus the water has to forcefully shoot up your nose in a way that just doesn't happen in a shower (think doing cannonballs in disgusting, murky lake water). So, even if you have it in the UK (I saw the union jack), it would be extremely weird to get it from showering unless you were doing unspeakable things in there and tilting your head in such as way to make water shoot straight up your nose and into your brain. Unlikely.

Re: Convinced I have symptoms of Naegleria fowleri after shower

I had this same fear for many many years, it basically took over my life but remember UK water is 100% treated. NF is usually found in natural springs in the high temperatures of the southern US. Think about how many people a day do exactly what you did. Someone once told me that the force it would have to go up your nose is the equivalent to doing a cartwheel in chest deep water. I don’t think NF would survive in stagnant pipe water either, it tends to hang about in the sediment in the shallows of lakes. Please try not to worry too much, a lot of the symptoms could just be the result of anxiety- ive been in exactly your position many times over the years worrying about UK water but it’s fine, it’s only been recorded once in the UK if I remember correctly, and that wasnt in the tap water.

Thread Information