Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabies- Need Help with Decision

Rabies- Need Help with Decision

A client brought an 11 week old puppy to the office maybe 3 days ago and one thing led to another and I am holding this puppy and it licked my lips. My lips were closed and there was no bite. The puppy also licked other coworkers (but I think I'm the only one who got it on the lips).

I don't know anything about this client or the puppy, other than it seemed totally normal and fine. I also know it is a crossbreed, don't know whether a mutt or was intentionally bred since my coworkers knew it was half golden and half some kind of other breed.

Since I was licked, though, I am really not sure whether I should get the shots. I mean, there might be a way for me to get information about the puppy and see if it is still alive and healthy after the holiday break (which would be a little more than 2 weeks).

I have not been worrying too much since it happened, since the puppy appeared very healthy. BUt, now I'm second guessing.

I do have OCD about rabies. It is a recurring intrusive thought, like not with regularity usually, but this is the second incident provoking rabies fear in a month.

Really not sure how to assess this situation. Would you get the shots?? Please answer :-)
    I am really not sure what to do. I am in the US where rabies in dogs is uncommon,
    Last edited by NervUs; 18-12-17 at 03:30.

Re: Rabies- Need Help with Decision

There is no way you have rabies. No, no, no, no way. No chance in hell. A puppy licked you. That's it. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but this post is an example of OCD thoughts out of control.

Your anxiety is the one providing the doubt and making you feel uncomfortable.

Forget about that for now and think rationally about the situation:

1. The puppy was healthy & happy.
    2. Is the clinet trustworthy, a decent person, etc? (is your perception of them that they would allow such a thing to happen is what I'm driving at)
    3. Rabies is uncommon in the US.
    4. Initially you weren't worrying, the worry came later.

From your counter evidence, rationally, what is the likely truth here?

Now, after you have written that down do you believe you need to take action? Why? Because you still feel uncomfortable? But isn't that anxiety and something we have to work on learning to accept & sit with?

One place I'm getting hung up is that I don't know the client and didn't meet the client. Ugh.

For what it's worth, NOPE!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There is no decision to make here. Any doctor who’s not a quack would laugh at you asking for rabies shots, is s/he did not know of your OCD.

Well, my other hangup is that the lick was on my mouth!!! I am not sure that is the same as licking skin, so.....

I am wishing I had not picked up that puppy!!! I am not going to request the shots, but I have to figure out a way to follow up on the dog!

No, you don't have to follow up on the dog. There is nothing wrong with the dog. The problem is you. You need to follow up on your OCD.

I would say I need to follow up on both. You are right about the need for mental health help!

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    I would say I need to follow up on both. You are right about the need for mental health help!
    Nervus... No. Really, there's no need to follow up on a healthy happy puppy. Respectfully, this is truly delusional. You say you have severe OCD and recognize it in your OP. You're asking advice and the advice is sound. Your response is just a compromise that helps feed your dragon. "Ok... I won't get the shots but I'm still checkin' the dog!".

Getting real life professional help in starving the dragon out of you would be the best path to take.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information