Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Broken wrist at school

Re: Broken wrist at school

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki02 View Post
    I've seen that. Obviously a 7 year old is going to be wearing a vest rather than a bra like I was, and I doubt her knickers were as skimpy as mine were. I certainly will be wearing more modest knickers to school in the future!
    Nikki,

I just posted that as forum members wree questioning whether this goes on and whether it's abuse, when I've been seeing cases just like in the news for years so I was surprised. It's common knowledge.

I suspect it's more likely in primary schools or same sex lessons. It seems unusual in a mixed class of 15 year olds, it takes a pretty dumb adult to not to release the impact on this on your self esteem as well as the horny 15 year old boys who will act as they are bound to for their age.

The teacher needs a serious rollocking in my opinion.

Not all parents are obsessed with running to the media to find their fame. Most parents will just do what is needed and move on.

I really do think you need to talk to your parents. They won't be angry or disappointed with you. They will be very angry with the school.

---------- Post added at 02:46 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Annaboodle View Post
    Yep, we faced corporal punishment - being given the belt in front of the whole class if we refused to do anything. The football thing also made it as far as Aberdeen I'm afraid too Terry :(
    Sorry to hear that, Anna. Maybe it was in their teacher training back then?!!! I had teachers who didn't do it though, I remember several who commanded more respect from their voices than a cane ever would have done.

We had the cane, the hand and the slipper. The latter was more for primary schools. The cane was the choice for secondary. We had a change of head teacher though and she didn't believe in it and to be honest, she commanded respect without it!

It's a far cry from the stories of my parents childhood though.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 16-12-17 at 02:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki02 View Post
    I've seen that. Obviously a 7 year old is going to be wearing a vest rather than a bra like I was, and I doubt her knickers were as skimpy as mine were. I certainly will be wearing more modest knickers to school in the future!

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

I honestly can't
    Why not?

What’s the name of the school?

Doing PE with a cast on your arm and in bra and pants at age 15? In any school let alone a mixed school.
    I don't believe it sorry .
    Actually at any age

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzella View Post
    Doing PE with a cast on your arm and in bra and pants at age 15? In any school let alone a mixed school.
    I don't believe it sorry .
    Actually at any age
    I suggest you read the link I added then where there is such a case currently in the media (and it's hardly the first time) where the council themselves say it goes on all the time around the UK.

Naming the school is irrelevant, it proves nothing either way as I'm sure we know.

I'm surprised Admin haven't moved this thread to a more relevant board, perhaps one less "animated"
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 16-12-17 at 05:31.

It isn’t irrelevant at all. If this is the sort of practice that is occurring then the school should be named and shamed.

That’s if it’s true.

I agree it should be named & shamed, but a post on a random internet forum won't do that. It needs a complaint from the parents and an investigation. It could be the work of one idiotic teacher without school agreement and the school should also have the right to investigate & defend itself.

The OP naming & shaming their school wouldn't be a good idea for them anyway, they could face repercussions from it if the teacher is the unpleasant type, not that I think a post on a small forum like this will ever be seen by anyone.

My point about being irrelevant was regarding whether it could be used in any way to validate anything because anyone can post a random school name with them all being in the public domain.

I've worked in approx 25 schools over the last 20 years, all primary, and have never seen any child doing PE in their underwear. Maybe having to take their shoes off once or twice, but most kids wear trainers to school these days so can keep them on to do PE.
    But given today's compensation culture it would be stupid for a school to let any pupil do PE with an obviously broken bone. If this thread is genuine, it's diabolical and action needs to be taken.
    I attended primary school in the 1960s and it was the norm for girls to do PE with their dress tucked in their pants.
    That was 50 years ago though.
    Anyway this needs the parents taking action if this did occur

I'm 41, it used to go on at my primary & secondary schools. We were in same sex PE sessions at least (in secondary) but you would get laughed at for doing it in your Y fronts. We didn;'t forget them much!

But Telford & Wrekin council actually put in their statement to the media that they are aware it goes on in schools across the UK. Even the school stated they use spare kits but they had all gone missing so they allowed children to do it in their underwear. It seems very strange in 2017 but if they say it goes on, I have to believe them as strange as it sounds. Someone needs to just bring in a rule to say it's unacceptable and anyone doing it will have to stop. Why they don't just do that, who knows? I guess it comes to down to expecting schools to know how to handle it using common sense.

In pubescent children though it beings a whole new slant on it for me.

With a break, it would be ludicrous and you would be sitting it out even in my schooldays unless we were doing something non physical.

It just goes to show you have worked in schools with common sense, Phuzella!
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 16-12-17 at 06:10.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

If this case is true, the school in question has failed and breached two major areas in its duty of care it has for every pupil:

1. Forcing a pupil who has an injury - in this case a "broken wrist" in a cast - to participate in a PE class and exposing them to further injury.

2. Forcing a pupil of pubescent age to participate in a PE class in their "underwear", thereby exposing them to ridicule and/or verbal abuse, sexual discrimination/harassment and humiliation.

Furthermore, the OP says her knickers were "skimpy" which further implies a highly inappropriate sexualised slant to this. I would expect the school to be in a lot of shit, whether this has happened once or a 100 times, and I'm sure any parent would be justifiably outraged too. I would.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    If this case is true, the school in question has failed and breached two major areas in its duty of care it has for every pupil:

1. Forcing a pupil who has an injury - in this case a "broken wrist" in a cast - to participate in a PE class and exposing them to further injury.

2. Forcing a pupil of pubescent age to participate in a PE class in their "underwear", thereby exposing them to ridicule and/or verbal abuse, sexual discrimination/harassment and humiliation.

Furthermore, the OP says her knickers were "skimpy" which further implies a highly inappropriate sexualised slant to this. I would expect the school to be in a lot of shit, whether this has happened once or a 100 times, and I'm sure any parent would be justifiably outraged too. I would.
    I agree.

Nikki, I know this has caused you emotional trauma and stress, you wouldn't have sought out the forum otherwise, but I have to question what we can actually do for you One way or another you have to address this in real life. Whether you go to your parents, a school counselor or a trusted adult, something needs to be done about this. Sadly, we can't do that in this medium. You're a minor that has been essentially assaulted.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 16-12-17 at 18:34.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information