Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy reading or watching tv?

Do you enjoy reading or watching tv?

Do you find that anxiety detracts from the enjoyment of things you used to find fun? I feel like my life is so focused on not being anxious that I can't properly enjoy something without soon remembering "oh yeah, I'm anxious and have panic attacks". If I could enjoy life apart from my panic, I don't know if my panic would be as bad.

Re: Do you enjoy reading or watching tv?

i watch quite a bit of netflix and stuff especially when i'm eating as it does help distract me from panicking and thinking reading also works and so does music especially when i'm out and about, stuff never used to distract me and i have lost the ability to do things i found fun but thats slowly getting better and i'm slowly finding myself again x

Reading is great for distracting the mind especially if it's a book where you find it hard to put it down. Thrillers are my favourite.

i struggle a lot with focus, however i do enjoy both.

currently, i'm watching doc martin (on dvd,), i love the show, but because of my focus i often forget what happens as soon as i've watched it and end up going back

it's the same with reading

i love a good book, but it takes me 1 or 2 months just to finish it (not because i don't enjoy it, because of focus)

When im anxious I find it so difficult to enjoy anything, but I try to remember I will come out of it again im only now really learning this as before id think I always be like this etc.
    But yep as I start feeling better I enjoy reading or watching tv, better than me googling

We were a TV-less household until last year (hadn't had one since 2007). We watched things on the internet via computer but didn't own an actual TV. We bough a nice 42" and subscribed to Netflix. Both my wife and I enjoy watching some programs and movies (been watching the "Supernatural" series).

I do a lot of reading, particularly before bed. Helps me fall asleep.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkyrocket View Post
    Do you find that anxiety detracts from the enjoyment of things you used to find fun? I feel like my life is so focused on not being anxious that I can't properly enjoy something without soon remembering "oh yeah, I'm anxious and have panic attacks". If I could enjoy life apart from my panic, I don't know if my panic would be as bad.
    Anxiety and depression both.

Anxiety - hard to concentrate on fun thing

depression - no desire to do fun thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    When im anxious I find it so difficult to enjoy anything, but I try to remember I will come out of it again im only now really learning this as before id think I always be like this etc.
    But yep as I start feeling better I enjoy reading or watching tv, better than me googling
    Yeah, it almost feels like when I'm anxious and think about all the times I was able to relax and enjoy a movie or book, my mind tells me that I was wrong for relaxing like "how could I have been stupid enough to not be anxious" lol. Its hard to argue with myself to make me realize that I was right to relax and that the anxiety is the irrational emotion :/

---------- Post added at 00:40 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Urusainaa View Post
    Anxiety and depression both.

Anxiety - hard to concentrate on fun thing

depression - no desire to do fun thing.
    At least it's giving me a healthy desire to work :/
    It seems like I can't stop thinking of something productive to do now that I can't relax.

---------- Post added at 00:55 ---------- Previous post was at 00:40 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Winter View Post
    i watch quite a bit of netflix and stuff especially when i'm eating as it does help distract me from panicking and thinking reading also works and so does music especially when i'm out and about, stuff never used to distract me and i have lost the ability to do things i found fun but thats slowly getting better and i'm slowly finding myself again x
    Aghh man, I can't wait to stop this nonsense and just relax... Eventually, right after I do a boatload of research to assuage my fears.

I read if I can find a good autobiography. I love reading poetry. I had two poetry books for Xmas present.
    I saw a program on TV about Ted Hughes. I am not much for his writing or his
    life really. I like romantic poetry.
    As for TV I watch Emmerdale and Coronation Street. I have been to the sets where the filming takes place. We don't have Sky TV
    I am watching War and Peace on TV. I read the book and seen the film.
    I do not watch any day time TV.
    TV brings much pleasure to folk who cannot get out.

My husband has just fallen asleep-- reading !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Magic; 16-01-16 at 14:15. Reason: spelling mistake

have no desire to do anything at the mo....other than stay in bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information