Thread: Really panicing - is this GERD or anxiety or something else??

Really panicing - is this GERD or anxiety or something else??

I've had a weird sensation in my chest for around a month now and the HA is creeping in and I'm now wondering if it's something more than heartburn or anxiety.

It's a dull heavy ache across the top of my chest, teamed with a blocked/restricted sensation in my throat. Nothing particular brings it on and nothing seems to make it better. Even on days when I've not felt anxious my chest aches are still there.

I've been to see my GP a couple of times and he didn't seem worried. My chest was clear and my heart was ok (although I am currently taking propranolol for palpitations).

Does this sounds like classic heartburn or anxiety? I'm seeing the doc again on Friday and I wondering whether to push for further tests

Thanks

Re: Really panicing - is this GERD or anxiety or something else??

Instead of pushing for tests, ask your doc if GERD is a possibility. He/she can provide their professional and educated opinion, but I do think it's very possible. GERD is not always "heartburn" or "acid regurgitation" and other classic symptoms. Sometimes it is just a sort of cough, or a chest ache/pain, which can radiate to the jaw, neck, shoulders, arms and sides, as well as the abdomen. The lump in the throat feeling is also a symptom.

If the doc thinks so, ask about a PPI. I started taking one in August (Pantoprazole/Protonix 40mg once daily) and it has helped significantly. I still watch what I eat/drink because a PPI is not an end-all solution, but it helps greatly as long as you do your part.

Thread Information