Thread: Finally caved and booked a Doctor's appointment.

Finally caved and booked a Doctor's appointment.

Hello everybody. I've been making a few posts around here recently, and been worried about neurological conditions such as MS and ALS.

It all started with my finger twitching about a month ago, followed by perceived stiffness in my finger. I've become incredibly observant of the manual dexterity of both of my hands- and finally I realised that my left index finger (the one that was twitching) was skinnier than my right index finger. I'd been adamant to not go the doctors, as I'd been quite a few times in the past year for no good reason, and thought that if I could overcome it without needing Doctors re-assurance it could be a step towards beating my health anxiety. I've actually spent the last week, or so, avoiding looking at my left finger as it makes me incredibly anxious, however today I could resist no longer and looked which immediately set off my anxiety. The finger itself isn't much thinner overall, just thinner in one part- but this fact is unbearable to my and so I have just made an appointment to see a doctor.

Apart from being disappointed for my lack of resolve, my appointment isn't until next Thursday, and I'm not sure how I'll cope in the run up. Lastly, I still feel somewhat silly going and trying to explain my concerns "My finger was twitching a month or so ago and stopped soon after, however now obsessed with said finger which appears to be slightly thinner".

I suppose I just crave reassurance too much.

Does anybody here think I made a mistake making the appointment? I'm not sure what I want to do at this point, because one one hand I am terrified at the prospects of something being wrong, and yet at the same time am annoyed at myself for making the appointment. I suppose I could always talk to my Doctor about my anxiety if it came to it, but I know if I went I'd have to talk about my finger.

Re: Finally caved and booked a Doctor's appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollace View Post
    I suppose I could always talk to my Doctor about my anxiety if it came to it, but I know if I went I'd have to talk about my finger.
    That's the MAIN reason you should keep the appointment.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Don't feel bad or angry about it, I have not been to the docs in over a year but think I am going to book appointment over a certain issue as my anxiety is getting too much. As fismanpa said, keep it just for the anxiety side of things.

Good for you for booking an appt! I actually have my first legit physical scheduled for today after work - i'm really anxious about it because of course i'm convinced i'll learn something terrible, but know that I need to have an actual doctor's appointment to both ease my mind and ensure that everything is healthy!

Thread Information