Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if antidepressant dosage is too high?

Re: How to tell if antidepressant dosage is too high?

I wasn't like this with flatness before meds though :( glad it went away for you xx how come you think it'll be sooner for me? 18 months sounds like a long time xx

It depends on your anxieties, mine were very bad and plenty of them, so it lingered.

The meds can make you lethargic, which is not quite the same as the flatness I felt.

One is feeling lazy and out of it and the other is not wanting to do anything because of leaving your comfort zone, frightened in a way. xx

its definitely not lethargic, its a blunted zombie flatness that is worsening my anxiety in any given social situation. my social anxiety in fact seems to be worsening by the day. I'm concerned about this, as I'm nearly 8 weeks in. that's why I wonder if the dose is too high or not. the other worry is if I go back down to 10mg, when in fact my body is now 'used to' the 20mg. I honestly don't know what to do :(

You stay on this dose until the full 12 weeks are out, you are not even two thirds into them yet.

I know exactly how you are feeling and it will go, I promise. It all takes time, but we are in a hurry.

Are you a nervous person by nature, I am and I have always got nervous before social functions. I hate parties, being invited round to the neighbours at Christmas, etc.

A new girlfriend would have me on edge for weeks, not just the first date. This is in my make up and with anxiety issues, it only exaggerates them. Most people with my irrational thoughts would just laugh, I panic.

But over the 3-4 month on Fluox, these social panics have now eased off to a point where I am now more relaxed than I have ever been, these meds do work, but it takes time.

So, stay on this dose for the allotted time. Dont try to hide away, go out, force yourself and try to be with friends. A positive mind, you ARE going to get better, I promise, these things work. You may need an increase in dosage but thats for later, they will work. xx

Thank you, no I'm not, nor ever have been a very nervous person by nature. if and when I get invited to parties I usually love them and enjoy chatting and meeting new people. (probably because I'm among friends). I havent been to one in years because the frienfs I had moved away. I would never be nervous around neighbours etc.

There aren't people to be around right now for me, I've been a recluse for 4 years. but never due to a feeling of nervousness. only due to severe depression.

I dont like excessive eye contact (with strangers) because I've always been convinced people can read my mind. so when I feel newly flat on these tablets (which I didn't feel before) and feel physically unable to even smile, it makes conversation extremely aversive. I have never, ever been this bad in my life, as I am on the fluoxetine.

However, I have never felt so paranoid in my life as I have on the 20mg fluoxetine, which still makes me worry that the dose is too high and should be maybe half of what it is. I had one great day on the 10mg 6 weeks ago. since then, nothing, and my anxiety seems worse by the day.

I'm dying to see my doctor on Monday.

You are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor, is he/she a good one.

thank you yeah they're nice. not the same as seeing an actual psychiatrist though. even though I'm with the mental health team they only see you once every few months. not ideal as they are the best ones to ask really if the flatness is caused by too high a dosage or not. I'm attempting to come off my sleep meds tomorrow night so hopefully that makes me less groggy on Sunday. I would tonight but kind of need to be up early. will keep plodding through the weekend there's still potential for change or hope even with another 48 hours lol thanks xx

Well GP's have to do a 6 month mental health awareness course, mine has been fantastic, but the NHS Outlook team were poor, made me worse.

Have a good chat to your GP, dont hold anything back.

thank you, can't come soon enough! xxx I'll see how I feel over the weekend as well though xx hope you're having a good weekend xx

Hi Steph.

How are you feeling today, weekend ok? Have a good chat with your Doctor, dont hold back, they can help. xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information