Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken wrist at school

Re: Broken wrist at school

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki02 View Post
    anyone without PE kit has to do it in underwear.
    This implies that it's a rule. I cannot imagine any school having such a policy Seriously... They actually make young teens take a PE class in their underwear just because they don't have a note? At worse, you just make up the class. That's just common sense. But this? Really? Maybe it's just the recent rash of sexual harassment stories happening but this sounds suspiciously similar to those stories.

Regardless, making a student with an obvious broken arm take PE in their underwear just because they didn't have a note is far and above abuse and it needs to be reported! That's just some messed up $^%$ there!

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 15-12-17 at 00:28.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Even in an all girls school this is not acceptable, as it's humiliation.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Is a mixed school, with boys in the lesson too

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Is a mixed school, with boys in the lesson too
    That's even more serious then, so you should tell your parents now.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Even in an all girls school this is not acceptable, as it's humiliation.
    Agreed!

Nikki, this event obviously has caused you some trauma and distress. So much so that you ended up here on an internet website for people that suffer from anxiety and other mental illnesses. You shouldn't have to be dealing with this.

You're asking for advice and seriously (this coming from a father of two children, one with anxiety and depression), you need to TALK TO YOUR PARENTS! Unless you can show me in writing such a rule, I have to conclude this is abuse.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Yes, it does go on. I'm surprised people haven't seen these cases as they appear in the news from time to time:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...eir-underwear/

As the council member and headteacher said...

Mrs Cousins said that there was no option to hand out spare kits. She said: “Unfortunately all of our spare PE Kits had been previously issued to children and had not been returned.“ Telford & Wrekin Council claimed that getting children who have forgotten their PE kit to do the class in their underwear happens every day across the country.

Advertising

Council spokesman Russell Griffin said: “This was a decision taken on the day by staff at a particular school based on the fact that the pupils in question had indicated they did want to take part in the PE lesson.

“I understand that all the pupils concerned enjoyed the lesson

“There is no national guidance on the subject but pragmatic decisions like this are taken every day in schools up and down the country.”

So, it's accepted as possible by schools and who govern them.

It used to go on when I was at school many years ago but you would think these days with new awareness over sexual abuse cases that it would have stopped. That and the fact I regard it as demeaning. Any kids forced to do it in their underwear in my day were teased by the rest of the class, a load of kids (and likely the teacher) laughing. This was also at secondary school but more common in primary.

Something I would deeply disapprove of would be a mixed class in pubescent children. That really is wrong. And again, I worry about pervert teachers & staff.

I would put it to your parents. It has upset you and they need to sort this out. If the class was also with boys (at least at my school we took PE separately although I doubt a teacher would have had the brains if it happened in the mixed sessions for boys but would expect girls to be considered due to their breast development) then doing so brings an unpleasant sexual aspect to this.

It beggars belief that at a time when schools are having to create more diverse policies to address the complex issues children are accepted as facing (homosexuality, transgenderism, etc make good examples) that they can't get the basics right when it comes to opening the door to demeaning & bullying!

---------- Post added at 04:52 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure you can't legally force anyone to do something in their underwear, including at school.
    Like many things teachers do, they rely on a position of power as the parent in the article I linked complained. They've been "persuading" kids to do things forever.

If a kid refused, they face punishment. Again it comes back to bringing your parents in.

When I was a teenager we had a maladjusted PE teacher who lined us up against the gym wall with our hands spread to the side while he kicked an indoor football at us. He thought it was funny. Sadly not all in teaching are moral. We didn't want to do that either, perhaps times were different years ago... corporal punishment was just on it's way out in my day.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 15-12-17 at 05:58. Reason: "Disapprove" not "approve"!

Well, I think this is a diabolical thing.
    No way would my 9 year old g/daughter do PE in her underwear with a mixed class.
    or same sex. If this happened to her she would tell her parents.
    She would not be embarrassed by doing so either.

Nikki. Please tell your parents. It is not the thing teacher's should be doing in this day and age.

They did this at my school! I'm 43 now, but can still remember the humiliation. It was vest and navy blue knickers for us. If you forgot your swimming kit it was the same. I'd hoped this kind of thing had completely died out now, but sadly not. Sorry Nikki, I know what it's like - awful.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

Like many things teachers do, they rely on a position of power as the parent in the article I linked complained. They've been "persuading" kids to do things forever.

If a kid refused, they face punishment. Again it comes back to bringing your parents in.

When I was a teenager we had a maladjusted PE teacher who lined us up against the gym wall with our hands spread to the side while he kicked an indoor football at us. He thought it was funny. Sadly not all in teaching are moral. We didn't want to do that either, perhaps times were different years ago... corporal punishment was just on it's way out in my day.
    Yep, we faced corporal punishment - being given the belt in front of the whole class if we refused to do anything. The football thing also made it as far as Aberdeen I'm afraid too Terry :(

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes, it does go on. I'm surprised people haven't seen these cases as they appear in the news from time to time:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...eir-underwear/
    I've seen that. Obviously a 7 year old is going to be wearing a vest rather than a bra like I was, and I doubt her knickers were as skimpy as mine were. I certainly will be wearing more modest knickers to school in the future!

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Nikki. Please tell your parents. It is not the thing teacher's should be doing in this day and age.
    I honestly can't

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I honestly can't
    As a parent, this is so frustrating, maddening and sad. This is an internet forum and unfortunately, one cannot come through the screen and make sure something is done about this! If my daughter ever came to me and told me something like this?... Let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

There's nothing we can do but advise you as to the best course of action. I hope you find the inner strength to ask for help in real life.

Positive thoughts

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information