Thread: Tetanus - freaking out!

Tetanus - freaking out!

Hi
    having a bit of a panic need some reasoned logic! I cut my hand very badly at work yesterday doing some filing of all thing. Anyway it's very deep. Now im watching Sherlock holmes and now I'm convinced I have tetanus. My jaw aches and doesn't usually and I'm freaking out it's lockjaw! even writing this I know it sounds silly as it's likely I'm just anxious andtebsinf my jaw and now I'm aware of it it's tensing even more but I can't quite shake this feeling you know?! My tetanus isn't up to date so I'm very scared!
    Help and a good talking to please!!!!!
    Anna xxx

Re: Tetanus - freaking out!

Last edited by BritTutor; 15-08-10 at 01:12.

Tetanus 100% will not show any symptoms for at least 3 days and even then they are localised to the area aroundthe cut and only later migrate to other areas. It is very very unlikely it is tetanus, jaw clenching is common if you are anxious and just very unlucky that it relates so closely with what you are anxious about. Best thing todo is pop down to your GP, he'll assess the cut, maybe give you a shot to boost your antibodies against tetanus, its not a vaccination so you can also discuss about getting vaccinated when you see the doc. If you've cut yourself when filing the chances are very very slim that you've contracted tetanus, dont worry but just for reassurance your GP will be able to check it out properly.

thanks guys for your advice! programmes should come with health warnings - may induce hypochondria!!

needless to say my jaw is feeling less achy today and the cut is looking better today - but your right i should get my vaccine booster, is only to put my mind at rest everytime i get a cut!!
    xx

Thread Information