Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety cause loose stools?

Can anxiety cause loose stools?

My HA has been quite high lately and I've been freaking out over one or two things so I'm feeling fairly anxious a lot of the time.
    Last Monday I went to the toilet and it was diarrhea and it improved over the following few days. But still my stools have remained very soft since then. And of course this is causing my anxiety to go higher which is probably not helping my bowels. This mornings bowel movement was very soft, just slightly better than diarrhea.
    Does this sound like anything bad/sinister?
    My partner told me yesterday that when he was stressed at work last year his bowel movements were soft every day, and this went on for months.
    I just want to know if it's possible that it's my anxiety making my stools so soft (and I can feel slight cramping from time to time too)
    Last edited by BrokenGirl; 21-03-18 at 16:02.

Re: Can anxiety cause loose stools?

Yes anxiety impacts stomach. In fact for me this was one of the earlier symptoms and i suffered badly for a month or so before i started treatment for my anxiety. Since then stomach is better but not to tell that i moved on to other physical symptoms and this keeps on changing

Simple answer is yes. The gut/bowels and the brain share a very special connection and the fact you're posting on a sub-forum pertaining to these symptoms on an anxiety site further affirms this.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

yep it can

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Of course !!!

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me whether it's usual for this to go on for a long time. My stools have now been very loose and soft for about 11 or 12 days I'd say. I don't suffer from IBS.
    If you stay in a fairly anxious state for a while (days/weeks) can it keep your bowels like this? I'm just scared it's something more serious.
    I know I've read in the past than diarrhea/constipation can be a sign of bowel cancer and I can't get that out of my head!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me whether it's usual for this to go on for a long time. My stools have now been very loose and soft for about 11 or 12 days I'd say.
    That's not a "long time", BrokenGirl. I thought you'd have said 1-2 months. Without being crude, this is where the phrase "to shit yourself" comes from. There is a very close link between anxiety and bowel habits.

Your anxiety/stress is fuelling this problem.

Never Surrender, Comrade

KK77 is absolutely right, the first thing that happens when you have panic episodes is that the bowels try to evacuate, it is to make you lighter to run. If you are highly anxious much of the time then sometimes this process doesn't happen fully, if you know what I mean and it may just be 'soft and not normal' stools instead, gut flora get disturbed, food isn't as well digested and the stomach acids may also be affected. The GI tract is heavily affected by anxiety, hugely so for some people. 11-12 days really isn't long at all.

In a way its almost expected

I've got some current ongoing issues which are sending me into a downward spiral of depression/anxiety/stress everything. Yet my stools are ..generally ok

The last time I went to my doctors for this (I knew I'd almost certainly be referred)..I was sat in the reception waiting for my name and within 5-10min of trying to hide my anxiety/shaking I could tell I needed the toilet out of the blue. Result was the first loose stool I'd had in about 5 weeks! Then by the end of the day it was almost back to normal again

Things are worse today (very loose stools, cramps) so I rang the doctor and spoke with her. She said not to worry yet but if things haven't settled down after a month to go back in to see her then.
    I asked her could it be anxiety and she said possibly, or it could also be viral, which can take a few weeks to clear up properly.
    This is driving my anxiety crazy - I'm finding it so hard to stay calm. And I know that's probably making it worse
    If only we had an off switch for anxiety......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information