Thread: Heart Worrier

I want to work out but my fear is too much to handle

Hey everyone, like some of you I'm a heart worrier. I have had palpitations as well as a few episodes of SVT. I got cleared by my cardiologist to not feel restricted by any means in working out. So I have worked out a couple times. But when my heart starts to race I panic... and I get caught into an anxiety loop-hole. I don't want live through life feeling like this. And I am determined to overcome. But I'm seriously so scared that my heart will just give out on me. I have considered getting on Paxil. But the number of side effects is too much for me to feel comfortable with. I have looked into several things to help take control of my anxiety. But how can I get past this? Has anyone else gone through this fear and overcame it? I just want some support and encouragement.

Re: I want to work out but my fear is too much to handle

If you have the all clear then the best thing for your heart is exercise which means you can work out.

You really can do this trust me.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Well, you need to keep in mind that a cardiologist - an expert in the heart - says you shouldn't feel inhibited in any way. That is about the best reassurance you will ever get on this.

If the reassurance doesn't sink in, then you'd be advised to get some therapy to help you cope with the irrational fear.

Believe me, i know EXACTLY how you feel!!
    I was terrified of working out, even just walking because i was so scared my heart would just give up

But listen - your heart is in good shape. And guess what? exercise is going to help it even more.

Your heart is going to race, thats whats supposed to happen when you work out its normal!! And its only going to become healthier by you doing so.

You’ve got this.
    Maybe start off small. Like basic walking, walking inclines, stuff like that rather than a full blown work out.

Good luck!

Heart Worrier

Hey all. This may be a little lengthy but please read it. I'm at the point where is this is affecting my every day life.

I have had heart worries for about 2 years now. Before my only concern was the heart palpitations. Last summer I had an episode of SVT. I went to thr cardiologist and he cleared me with no restrictions. I expressed my fears about wanting to work out and how I was scared because I felt uncomfortable when my heart would race. But he said with time that feeling should fade away. I left the office feeling great and encouraged. I never really got the chance to work out. A couple weeks ago. I had a very stressful and anxious day. I had to take an exam in class and got really bad test anxiety. I had an episode of SVT a couple hours later and it lasted less than 5 minutes. I got really depressed thereafter. I started to feel sorry for myself and I blamed myself for causing this problem in the first place. I told myself if i didn't have anxiety then I would probably never have another episode of SVT. I have tried working out.. recently. I'll start off slow and just do a walk. But even then I get anxious. Tonight at dinner I was serving plates and idk if I was having skipped bests or what but they weren't really noticeable. And they weren't as strong as skipped beats usually feel so maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me.

I want to work out so bad. But because I'm so anxious on some days and I have a racing heart rate in the 130's I'm scared to exercise as well because I don't want my heart to be in tachycardia often. If that makes sense?

I'm falling into depression. I see other people and they just seem so put together. They get up early in the morning. Do their hair and makeup and go on with their jobs and life's. They are able to cook for their children. Be a great wife. And I honestly feel like I am failing. It's so hard for me to do those things because of my anxiety. I want to know that if I exercise my heart will be ok. That I will be ok.

Yes I can trust the doctor but I'm a nursing student and I know that doctors make mistakes alll the time.

I recently went and got a prescription for Paxil but after reading the side effects I couldn't bring myself to take it. A serious and fatal problem such as prolonged QT syndrome can occur and that in itself was enough for me to completely dismiss it.

I want my life back. I want the girl that I was years ago to come back. I want to be able to get up every morning and get pretty. I want to go back to the time before I had experienced heart palpitations. I want to go back to the time that anxiety didn't ruin my life. I'm really sad. And event typing this up I feel tears in my eyes because I'm so upset with what I've become. I'm sad with the problems that I have (or don't have) according to thr cardiologist. But it's my fault in the first place that I have them.

Can anyone please send me words of encouragement. They would greatly be appreciated.

Re: Heart Worrier

It is not your fault that you face these issues! However, you have a lot of control over what you do from this day forward to combat it. Have you tried meditating? That will be supremely helpful in your quest to become anxiety-free. Breathe deeply and do what you have to do to know and fully understand that it is not your fault. Download the app Headspace and study up on meditation on Wikipedia.

If you want your life back, you’re going to have to go get it – and you can.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Have to tried beta blockers for your palpitations? I'm thinking about trying them again.

Thread Information