Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant Panic

Constant Panic

Hi All

It’s been a really long time since I posted on here (about five years id say). During that time I’ve been on a constant 37.5mg of venlafaxine and been panic/anxiety free. I put a lot of this down to some CBT and mindfulness I learnt.

Shock of my life last Wednesday when out of nowhere (after a bout of the flu) I had a panic attack. My panic attacks usually last for a good hour and involve sweating/shivers/pins and needles and severe worry/depersonalisation. I drove to A & E but didn’t go in, I had some diazepam from a past flight so I took 2mg got to bed and woke up in the morning feeling very anxious!

Straight down to the doctors on Thursday. My dose was increased to 75mg, and I was given 40mg beta blockers three a day. Which the doctor has since swapped to 80mg modified release twice a day. I have woken up panicking nearly every morning and had issues most nights. Until now I’ve been ok at work but I feel like I’ve been in a constant state of panic since about 5 last night. I took another diazepam last night I was so desperate (which I hate doing).

I honestly feel like I’m getting worse not better. I feel so hopeless!

I can’t remember what’s it’s like upping the dose of venlafaxine. Is this constant/worse anxiety a side effect?

Any advice much appreciated

Xxx
    Last edited by roxy46; 22-02-18 at 14:44.

Re: Constant Panic

I was just going to post about this. I take cymbalta and upped my dose by a Tony bit and I’m feeling so anxious and have had a few panic attacks. It’s been theee weeks on the increased dose. Sometimes it can take a while for your body to adjust. I’m hoping mine will settle down in th next few weeks. I have klonopin to take as well as Xanax. Fingers crossedxxx

Upping the dosage can definitely cause an increase in anxiety. Like Ethansmom says, it takes a while for your body to adjust. In my case, the dose I was on proved to be too high, so I ended up lowering it back down (to 150 mg), so now I'm feeling better...

Thanks for the reply’s. I switched back to the normal beta blockers instead of the modified release and am at least getting some relief at some points of the day now. Maybe just coincidence. Day 10 of the increase today.

I’m just so up and down. I have points where I feel absolutely fine. Then every morning and evening it hits me like a brick again. I know I’m not helping myself because when I don’t feel great I’m winding myself up that I’m always going to be like this, I’m a bad mum, a bad wife etc etc.

Also just so disappointed that this has happened after 5 years when I thought I had it all under control. It’s made me feel quite vulnerable, like it could get me at any time in the future too.

All bad thinking behaviours that aren’t helping I know. I must stop xxx

Remember that it's something that happens to you, something your subconscious mind makes happen, not something you willingly bring on yourself. It's to do with some psychological and physiological complexities that I can't say I fully understand, but the only thing you can do, on a conscious level, is keep on trying to beat the anxiety, the negative thought patterns. Those can be changed consciously. It takes time and effort, but it's possible to alter, if not change them.

I feel the same way as you Roxy. It's so difficult. For the past few days I've been waking up with my heart racing and palpitations. I already taking Klonopin daily. I'm thinking that a beta blocker might be better in those circumstances. Is that something you can take once in a while, or does it have to be everyday. Right now my resting heart rate is 77 , and i don't want it to dip too low or i'll freak out.

Thanks Ana that’s really reassuring. I have practiced CBT and I think I was doing really well with it. But I have let old habits of worrying sneak up on me and I’ve been looking after everyone and everything else before myself. I’m like two different people at the moment, when I’m anxious nothing is ever going to be ok again and when I’m not I’m quite positive. Anyway I’ve had a more positive day today with only anxiety this morning so far. Usually it comes in the afternoon too but I’ve tried my best to fend it off.

Who knows what tonight will bring, but one day at a time

Hope you’re doing ok too x

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Ethan’s mom. A beta blocker just masks the physical symptoms of the anxiety. So it may help with palpitations etc. You can take them as just a one off, many people take them before presentations or flights etc to calm nerves.

They do help me but it’s dependant on how high my anxiety levels are. They do lower the heart rate though x

It's easy to fall back into the same old patterns of thought and behaviour. You have a lot of pressure on you, worrying about everyone other than yourself, so it's no wonder your anxiety is pulling you by the hand trying to get you to pay attention to what's happening inside. Perhaps you should try and see what it is that's causing you inner turmoil and discomfort, see if you can treat yourself a bit more kindly.

I'm glad the day went well for you. My day was bad in places, so my hope is in a better tomorrow. Stay well x

That sounds like a good idea! Hope your day was better! x

My day went well, thank you, Roxy. I'm going to try my best to have a relaxing weekend, rather than one full of anticipatory anxiety over Monday/next week!

I hope you're being kind to yourself and are thinking good thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information