Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else monitor there body sensations all the time???

Does anyone else monitor there body sensations all the time???

I'd really like to hear from someone else who knows anything about this or has this problem. I have health anxiety and agoraphobia (don't like being places where I could have a heart attack and not get help or pass out)
    I'm always monitoring my body like If I feel dizzy I get huge panic or my breathing or numbness vision.... the list goes on.. what can I do for help? Does any medication work hypnotherapy anything???

Re: Does anyone else monitor there body sensations all the time???

I am the same, slightest sensation/ feeling and I feel like I'm going to collapse. Legs go to jelly and I feel lightheaded. I'm also agoraphobic in certain situations where I can't escape quickly as I feel better on my own and panic about making a fool of myself around people. I was given propranolol to help with heart racing and other symptoms but don't feel like it's helping much as still getting lots of nasty symptoms.

CBT works. It requires a commitment to work on yourself. I got some books on distraction techniques and confronting panic attacks and it helped me a lot. I don't really have panic attacks anymore, and when I do I know how to keep it from becoming unmanageable. There is a mental key to fixing this problem, and it lies in understanding that the symptoms of fear and panic cause more panic and fear. And truly believing that the scary symptoms ARE ANXIETY, nothing more. They aren't dangerous, not an immending heart attack, etc. When you truly get that, you can begin the work of ignoring the symptoms. It sounds easy but in the beginning it's very difficult. Exercise and video games, hobbies, etc help a lot. The point is to "forget" about the symptoms for longer and longer. This helps them to diminish and, finally, vanish (really). Medication helps some people but most people on meds will tell you that with HA, it doesn't fix the obsessive thoughts that are the root of the problem. You have to retrain your mind.

Thanks a lot for the replies! I'm still waiting for cbt it's been 8 months

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

What are the books called?

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by helenclaire View Post
    I am the same, slightest sensation/ feeling and I feel like I'm going to collapse. Legs go to jelly and I feel lightheaded. I'm also agoraphobic in certain situations where I can't escape quickly as I feel better on my own and panic about making a fool of myself around people. I was given propranolol to help with heart racing and other symptoms but don't feel like it's helping much as still getting lots of nasty symptoms.
    I'm exactly the same I only feel agoraphobia When there's people about and I could make a fool of myself!

Yep, this is definitely me! I notice every little palpitation, fleck in my vision, dizzy spell, rumble in my stomach... everything! It's driving me mental. I know it's only anxiety but it sets me off in a panic

I really would like CBT but every time I've asked they tell me I can only get group CBT but I would really like 1-on-1

Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Paul,

You are certainly not alone with this, our minds become so hyper sensitive to normal sensations. The slightest of feelings I get in my upper body send me into panic/anxiety mode...it's such a nuisance and just fuels the anxiety fire further.

I haven't found medication helpful as my mind still rages on when I feel something...will be starting CBT tomorrow so hoping it will help. Please feel free to pm me if you ever need a chat

Quote Originally Posted by Ash J View Post
    Hi Paul,

You are certainly not alone with this, our minds become so hyper sensitive to normal sensations. The slightest of feelings I get in my upper body send me into panic/anxiety mode...it's such a nuisance and just fuels the anxiety fire further.

I haven't found medication helpful as my mind still rages on when I feel something...will be starting CBT tomorrow so hoping it will help. Please feel free to pm me if you ever need a chat
    Thanks that's really helpful! I've tried lorazepam but that makes me feel weird and freaks me out haha it doesn't stop! Good luck with your cbt.

Omg. Me. I'm so aware of every little sensation, every little pain. Which makes me turn to the internet and suddenly I've convinced myself I have MS or some other rare disease. I was also given propranolol for my symptoms. I feel like it helps a little when my heart gets racing but doesn't help much with the worrying aspects.

Unfortunately, there is no medication you can take, or even any form of therapy, that directly puts a stop to all of this. I took sertraline, diazepam, lorazepam and propranolol, and I had CBT. I found them all helpful to differing extents, but the key word there is "helpful". Not curative. I was cured, but only through a combination of CBT, medication and my own determination to lead a more fulfilling life.

The thing is, your body is responding to your state of mind. Your state of mind worsens as you worry about your body, which then makes the bodily sensations work. Ultimately, there is little point in taking medication or having CBT unless you recognise the part that you have to play in your recovery. There is no paracetamol (acetaminophen) for anxiety.

The good news is that, if you are prepared to put the work in, things like CBT and medication can be transformative.

Yes, all the time. As well as always being hyper vigilant I am also overly aware of the smallest sensation or feeling in my body. Whereas most people feel them and ignore it I feel them and worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information