Home | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms and conditions
User Name
Password
Health Anxiety Are you plagued by fears about your body or health? Are you suffering from Health Anxiety? Please check other sub-forums first to see if your problem should be posted there instead. E.G. the IBS forum or the medication forum or the symptoms forum.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-18, 19:18
flatline flatline is offline
New member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 50
electric shock

hey all,

in my bathroom there is a light switch right next to a pair of outlets. Sometimes my finger will accidentally brush over them while fumbling around and looking for the light. This just happened and I was worried about the possibility of an electric shock. I didn't feel anything but I'm still worried about it messing with my heart with them or something.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-18, 19:43
Gary A Gary A is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,128
Re: electric shock

Socket outlets are designed to conduct electricity only when a proper conductor is inserted. In other words, you’d need to stick something metal into it to have any risk of shock. If your hands were dripping wet there’s a slight risk, but even then, modern electrical installations are designed to shut down within 0.7 seconds of a short circuit in to prevent fatal shocks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-18, 19:49
flatline flatline is offline
New member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 50
Re: electric shock

they might have been, like, slightly damp
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-18, 20:32
Gary A Gary A is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,128
Re: electric shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatline View Post
they might have been, like, slightly damp
If you’d have recieved any type of shock that could affect your heart, you’d have certainly known about it. You’re worrying over absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-18, 20:43
KK77's Avatar
KK77 KK77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,560
Re: electric shock

Those sockets in bathrooms are for "shavers" and are low voltage. Plus, you'd know if you'd received an electric shock.
__________________
KK

Complaints Mismanagement Controller
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13-08-18, 01:09
Pamplemousse's Avatar
Pamplemousse Pamplemousse is offline
New member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 68
Re: electric shock

I'd just point out that the OP lives in the US so different standards will apply where electricity in bathrooms is concerned. We've only just begun to allow this in the UK - traditional shaver outlets in the UK have an isolating transformer in them which would actually negate any RCD upstream of them (GFI in the US) as there is no reference to earth and they used to output either 115 or 230 V. This is what makes them safe for use in a bathroom.

But to address the OP - if you'd managed to make contact with the hot side of the outlet you would have noticed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, shock


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
electric shock! BumbleGirl Health Anxiety 1 27-05-14 23:40
electric shock daisycake Health Anxiety 6 20-01-10 01:37
electric shock EmmaJane Symptoms 2 27-06-09 21:21
electric shock henri Panic / Panic Attacks 14 11-05-06 10:16


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.