Thread: intrusive thoughts

intrusive thoughts

I have had alot of stress in the last few months, but before my last period i was getting thoughts about knives and this time i am due on again i am having thoughts like what if i hit people while im out, which is stupid again as i would'nt hurt a fly, what is this? advice fast please.

Re: intrusive thoughts

Hello Carol !
    Sounds like a combination of stress, anxiety, PMT all getting a bit too much. You must go and talk this through with your GP so that he can reassure you and you can get some control back over your thoughts - that's all they are - THOUGHTS. Don't make yourself even more stressed, get some guidance.
    Be kind to yourself

Dont worry they are not the reality. I get the strangest thoughts sometimes and because of the anxiety we hang on to them as if they are true. I had this weird thought the other day that I was gay even though I am 26 and have never looked at a man in my life! I was also looking at this stunning girl who was sitting across from me at the time!

Carol

Have a read on here - some info about it...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms....ppage=symptoms

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Smile Re: intrusive thoughts

Hi there,

Intrusive thoughts are the worst part of anxiety for me. The physical stuff I can cope with but the negative destructive thoughts I find extremely upsetting. The thoughts always seem to be the exact opposite of the kind of person I know I am. I fear doing something wrong or bad but I never do. I seem to be able to immediately think of what I don't want to think about and then it sticks. This is the person who can't even run over a bumble bee when he's mowing the lawn but I still worry that I'll do something really bad. Daft, isn't it, when you think about it?

I've had a period in my life where I experienced these feelings about 10 years ago. I got married and I'd been under huge pressure at work, putting in daft hours. When I get worried about the intrusive thoughts now, I look back to that time and think about all those fears - did I ever actually do anything I worried about - you've guessed it, no. Do I still worry when I'm stressed, oh yes. It is the devil this anxiety thing, isn't it? Defies logic.

If you haven't read them, I highly recommend the books by Claire Weekes. They cover obsessive and intrusive thoughts very well. I also found the advice in David Pauls book very useful.

If you browse around this site, you'll see that there are many people in the same boat. I understand that it's the fear of the thoughts that keeps them in mind. If you don't fear them, they lose their importance. The way to not fear them is to see that they are only thoughts, exaggerated in importance because you don't want to think them.

I hope this strikes a cord with you. You are not alone. When I get these type of thoughts and it puts me off doing something I really want to do - I just stick out my chin and JFDI. And you know what, nothing bad ever happens.

Best wishes,

A

Hi, thanks for all your replies, i am sure i am worse as a result of all the stress over the last 2 months. Today was another bad day i was out with my mum to an appointment and was getting a feeling and thoughts of hitting out at people really horrible hope it subsides soon, as it is starting to really freak me out. i think also as i am due on this must be pmt too.

Thread Information