Thread: People's perceptions of anxious people. Uncomfortable interactions.

People's perceptions of anxious people. Uncomfortable interactions.

I sense I'm getting strange reactions from people I interact with throughout my day. I get the sense I'm coming off as maybe a bit eccentric or my behavior due to anxiety makes me seem a bit odd. Now here's the thing, I see myself as outwardly appearing quite normal. I wonder if I'm possibly misinterpreting and overthinking how people react to me. It just seems like I have uncomfortable interactions with people, their body language and facial expressions denote some sort of weirdness.

This might sound a wee bit paranoid, but I get the sense people are occasionally talking about me, things like, "What's that guy's story."

I'm not unusual looking at all. Perhaps people sense that I'm nervous and or seemingly agitated and that in-turn makes them uncomfortable. I'm a tense guy, but I try to hide it to the best of ability. I'm in good physical shape and my choice of dress is 'normal', my hygiene is good. I don't get it.

Anyone else feel like others are picking up on the vibes we anxious folk are unknowingly giving off?

It's almost like people pick-up on strange energy in a way that science doesn't fully understand.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by ARIES34; 14-05-17 at 17:58.

Re: People's perceptions of anxious people. Uncomfortable interactions.

Usually if you are quiet around people and don't say much then they would probably wonder what's the deal with this guy but if you are interacting with them normally then maybe you are readng too much into it. I don't think people can easily pick up on these things.

Mostly I sense people are angry with me. That's strange because if they are feeling angry it has nothing to do with me anyway. When I get angry outside, I feel like running away and hiding. I feel tense in my body most of the time. This is odd and probably no one notices but a lot of the time, I want to laugh or smile at how serious people look when walking down the street and it's really awkward! I try hard to stifle it. Many people in London are anti-smiling!

People are probably lost in trances and very much in their own worlds, so I doubt each of them are all stopping to notice you one by one. Unless its people who know you and you seem unlike your usual self, so they're worrying. You can never read peoples minds or get in other people heads to know whether or not they are thinking about you. I think you're alright. Do you work somewhere busy?

I can relate to this..it's almost as if it's an unspoken sense they get and if like you if I can read them well they give off the signs of not quite getting you.
    I wandered about my self if I was quite blank with my expressions and body language and wandered if this made people seem unsure how to take the conversation??

I still can't figure it out as like you I can't see anything obvious that stands out with me to make people feel this way. I know after such conversations I go away thinking was it something I said or did, didn't do.

Well, it's always tough to know what other people are thinking. For instance, you don't know what happened to them before your encounter. If a person got into a fight at home and stormed out eventually ending where you are, you can be sure that person is still fuming and you think they are angry at you.

I think the best approach is to not bother with what other people think. I know it's not easy but your life will be better when you can be who you are. There will always be people who will judge you and make others feel bad. I had complete strangers online (not here) calling me an attention seeker and telling me to kill myself when I talk about my problems. This world has all sort of people so you shouldn't let these things bother you. Just go on with you life and you will attract people who will accept you for who you are. They might even become your best friends.

Thread Information