Thread: Pulse rate

Question Pulse rate

Hiya all
    Hope your having a good weekend.
    I have just got a heat monitor thing to help me moniter my fittness level and my resting heart rate is high. Its about 90 and it should be around 60-80. Also i notice when i am feeling even slightly anxtious then it goes up to around 120. Dont know what it will be when i feel really bad. Luckly havent felt like that today.
    Anyway there is strong corrilation between pusle rate and anxiety. Sorry to state the obvious. So would finding ways of lowring my pusle help releave my anxiety. Such as exercise, relaxation or meditiation.
    Just wondering.
    Take care
    Blackie

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

“True bravery is shown by performing without witness what one might be capable of doing before all the world

Re: Pulse rate

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Hiya all
    Hope your having a good weekend.
    I have just got a heat monitor thing to help me moniter my fittness level and my resting heart rate is high. Its about 90 and it should be around 60-80. Also i notice when i am feeling even slightly anxtious then it goes up to around 120. Dont know what it will be when i feel really bad. Luckly havent felt like that today.
    Anyway there is strong corrilation between pusle rate and anxiety. Sorry to state the obvious. So would finding ways of lowring my pusle help releave my anxiety. Such as exercise, relaxation or meditiation.
    Just wondering.
    Take care
    Blackie
    Hi Blackie, Well yes I do think doing some exercise will lower your resting heart rate, but it doesn't happen overnight. You have to do enough cardio exercise to strengthen your heart muscles so that your heart doesn't have to work as hard when you are relaxed. Before I started exercising my resting pulse was around 60 and now it's gone down to about 58 after 8mths of daily exercise. I don't have a very hectic exercise schedule, just 4miles a day on the treadmill, but for me that's enough

I wonder if just by checking your resting heartrate that subconsiously you are worrying and it's making it higher? I don't think 90 is particulary high though, I know a lot of people who don't suffer with anxiety that have similar resting heart rates, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hiya
    Thanks for your advice.
    90 isnt high but the best area to be in is 60-80. but anywhere from 60-100 is normal. Im not worried about it so i dont think that makes it go higher. Actually since having the monitor its made me feel better tio know my heart rate is ok.
    What i was hoping though is that if i lowered my heart rate generally if it would help to stop it going so high when i was anxious ifr that makes sence
    Blackie

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

“True bravery is shown by performing without witness what one might be capable of doing before all the world

Hi Blackie, whilst i think that any medical checks benefit an anxious person from time to time i dont think that self checking your heart rate too often is a reliable indication of how anxious you are. My doctor informed me that it is a medical fact that when you go near somebody with a piece of medical equipment be it a BP monitor needle or even stethescope you get a reaction not because there is something wrong with you but because you anticipate that there is going to be. My problem starts before i even get through the door of the surgery and my heart rate is already off the scale. I once used a heart rate monitor at the gym in the good old days when i could still leave the house and my heart rate was pushing up to 130 on the rowing machine, it scared the life out of me as i assumed that was a dangerous level even though i didn't feel bad but the guy running the gym explained that i had started out with a high resting rate so it was worthless to try and compare myself with someone else, he said the only time i should worry is if after a minute or so of vigerous exercise i get chest pains and can't breath. I now listen to my body rather than rely on equipment and find that my heart rate slows down a lot quicker than it used . I tend to do 1 minute bouts of intense exersise and then 5 minutes of gentle exercise or light weights and repeat for about 20 minutes.
    p.s i have just checked my heart rate and it is 87 and i feel quite calm so i don't think that 90 is anything to worry about.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Hiya
    I am honestly not worried by my heart rate. i just wondered if i could relax more if it would make me feel calmer.
    I dont get chest pains when i exercise so im know im ok. I just feel like i have been run over by a bus (not use to exercising) .
    Thanks
    Blackie

Thread Information