Thread: Anyone had a chest CTs?

Wink Anyone had a chest CTs?

Morning all.
    So in the past 10 weeks NHS gave me 1 perfusion only scan and 6 chest X-rays. As I was still worried about having a clot on my lung I spoke to a private GP about having a ctpa to rule out a clot and put my mind at ease. The reason for still being nervous is due to an ECG showing a right bundle branch block which can be caused by a clot on the lungs. My GP reassured me that I would be fine having this test and the risks are extremely small even after my other tests. So off I went to have it done and now I feel so stupid for doing it as I can't stop googling how dangerous all the radiation is.
    Has anyone else had a lot of tests done? Specifically chest CTs or CTPAs.
    I thought this test would make me better but it's made me worse.
    Please help x

Re: Anyone had a chest CTs?

Chest CT with contrast increases your chances of getting cancer slightly in future due to high msv value. However, when I say slightly i mean 1 in Mil people that get CAT scan of chest develop some sort of cancer from it. unfortunatly lung clots are only detected using CAT scan, MRI is not the modality to be used as it wont be able to diagnose it. I think you could ask your GP to give u one to ease your mind. But I doubt it you have lung clots, if you have no problem breathing during activities or if you dont have leg or arm swelling.

---------- Post added at 08:15 ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 ----------

and how do I know these, besides being hypochondriac I'm an Biomedical Engineer too. So the risk in minimal. Just try not to get any CAT scans for another 14 months or so.

Thanks James. I've already had the scan which is why I'm now worried I've harmed my body. Wish I would have come on here first to calm me down instead of rushing into it

Smile Re: Anyone had a chest CTs?

Dont worry a chest ct is about 7msv,the smallest cancer risk detectable from radiation is over 100msv.your dose is very low.and if there is any risk is way too small to be detected.a smoker for example is exposed to 80msv a year by smoking one pack a day due to radioactive pollonium-210 and lead-210 found in cigarettes.youve got a dose the average smoker gets every month you dont see them to worry that much do you?lel.but is best not to rush to these ct scans with every ache or fear that you have let the doctor decide.also you dont need to avoid them if a doctor tells you that you need one.they are way way more likely to discover a incidental finding then give you cancer in 20 years.

I had head and neck cancer. They treated it with chemo and yes, radiation. I dare say 10X the amount you would receive in a CT. Ohhh lest I forget. I had radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks. 30 treatments and guess what? I had 30 CT scans of my head and neck before each radiation session to calibrate the radiation beams.

That and who know how many x-rays, CTs, CTs with contrast, nuclear stress tests (where they inject a radioactive dye to view your heart and arteries) etc. since I was a child.

Not concerned in the least. Why? Show me one actual "documented" cancer case where the cause was 100% determined to be from CT scans.... Can't, there aren't any.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi
    CT scans now days are much safer than they used to be, very little radiation exposure.
    Take care.
    Mugs

Thread Information