Thread: Can coming off Klonopin cause depersonalization?

Can coming off Klonopin cause depersonalization?

Hi everyone,

I posted in the DP boards but I wanted to post here as well. I was on Klonopin for about a month when my panic and anxiety was at its worst. My doctor didn't want me to be on it long-term, so she started tapering me. I was originally on .5mg twice a day, she had me go to just one .5mg a day for a week, and then I took my last pill on Wednesday.

Starting Friday, I have had terrible feelings of unreality along with some tingling and numbness. This has always been my most frightening anxiety symptom and I am terrified right now. I was doing really well, even as I was being tapered off - I have had so many big victories lately and I am devastated to be feeling this way again.

Could this be a side effect of not taking the Klonopin anymore, even though my dose wasn't very high? I don't want to go back on it, I just want to know if this is normal for coming off of it and if it will pass. I am going to call my doctor in the morning - trying really hard not to rush to the emergency room.

Thank you so much for any help, I really appreciate it right now.

Re: Can coming off Klonopin cause depersonalization?

When you feel depersonalization is that like a feeling or dizziness or lightheadedness?

Re: Can coming off Klonopin cause depersonalization?

Hi.
    If there has not been any other changes to medication or personal situation, except for reducing Klonopin dosage, then it is probably due to withdrawal.
    One month consistently on 0.5mg twice a day may be enough for your body to develop some dependency. I suggest discussing with your doctor about slowing the weaning process.

Thread Information