Thread: Restless Leg Syndrome

Cool Restless Leg Syndrome

In the last few weeks I have been aware of having Restless Leg Syndrome. At first I thought nothing of it, I thought I'd had a bad dream that had resulted in my being unsettled and therefore throwing the duvet off. Then I realised it was happening every night. I used to leave things at the end of my bed, like a dressing gown and in the morning it was flung across the room.

I started to observe this and left a brush at the end of my bed and in the morning it was on the floor. This could have been the result of one movement in bed, such as pulling the cover up but then I started to wake up with the duvet twisted between my legs.

So, as bad as it was having it during the night, and as a cause to me not feeling like I'd slept much when I'd been out for seven hours, I felt it was fine.

Then it started happening when I was awake. In the morning, when I woke, I would lie a little bit longer and suddenly be aware that my legs were dodging about. I've described a being like a Riverdance. Humour helps me cope but in reality it's driving me crazy.

I did the thing you shouldn't and Googled it, though I didn't go in depth. I wasn't surprised to find out that it can be related to anxiety, stress and, surprise surprise, insomnia. So now I have the cause because I suffer the first two without a doubt.

I thought it would only effect me during the night. I was wrong. I've suddenly realised that when I'm sitting down my legs are at it again. I'm constantly moving their position. My ankles will be crossed then my legs straight out, then I'll cross one leg over the other and then vice versa. I don't remain in one position for any length of time.

I've also noticed that if I'm dozing on the sofa in the evening I twitch all over. Not constantly but every few moments a leg will go, an arm, a buttock, always something.

So, after this essay I'm just wondering about other people who suffer from this and what you do to alleviate it? I'm seeing my doctor on Thursday but I know he won't have any solution.

I joked the other day that at least it would tone up my muscles but in fact it's exhausting me along with my anxiety.

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

Klonazepam is the designer benzo for restless leg syndrome. Codeine can cause it too.

I have restless legs,I want to move back north.

I have restless legs, but not like yours. Typically you just can't keep your legs still because they feel very uncomfortable when you try (and the feeling is very hard to describe). You have to consciously move them. Mine have never twitched on their own. For me it happens when I'm tired, so if I'm up late watching TV I have to get up and walk about for a few minutes. Apparently magnesium can help.

I dealt with this quite a bit along with neuropathy in my feet after cancer treatment. What you describe is quite different from my experience. For me it was a really uncomfortable feeling in my shin area. Moving my foot around and flexing the muscles in my lower leg was the only relief I could get. It made it difficult to fall asleep as it only really bothered me at bedtime/evenings. Twitching or spasms never were a symptom for me.

My doctors prescribed gabapentin for my neuropathy pain as well as the restless leg symptoms. I recently weaned off of the meds and it has not returned but I believe the acupuncture treatments I've been getting for the post cancer side effects has helped greatly.

Ask your doctor for sure. There are meds that can help quell the symptoms.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for your replies everyone. Some days the twitch more than others. I believe it is stress related in my case.

Lots of advice for me here.

Thread Information