Thread: Throat pain like a scratch

Throat pain like a scratch

Hi all

I really hope someone can help, I have worked myself up so much about my throat pain which I admit I have only had for about a week but it’s not a normal throat pain, it’s at the very base of my neck and occurs after I have swallowed, feels like a scratch or something not a lump.

Eating is ok it hurts when the food goes past the pain but I am not struggling to swallow food.

I suffer with health anxiety really badly and was in a salon on Friday where people were talking about a lady who he passed away from a brain tumour her symptoms were not typical and it bothered me, I went home and that evening had the biggest panic attack I have ever had, of course followed by a headache... since then the normal sore throat I had turned into this weird pain at the base of throat and it’s after I swallow.

Really scared and in such a panicky state literally on the verge of a panic attack all day every day since the last one :(

Just to add I quit smoking 3 weeks ago and I am currently vaping, quitting smoking always exacerbates my anxiety.

I am starting a new job tomorrow and I really want it to go well, any advice would be so much appreciated.

Thanks for reading x

Re: Throat pain like a scratch

Hiya!

Sounds very similar to a throat issue I've had for 4 months solid now. I have it all the time though and also have no issues swallowing.

Does it always feel like you have to clear your throat? And it it central or more to one side? Mines about half an inch to the left of the middle of my Adam's apple.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyswinger1 View Post
    Hiya!

Sounds very similar to a throat issue I've had for 4 months solid now. I have it all the time though and also have no issues swallowing.

Does it always feel like you have to clear your throat? And it it central or more to one side? Mines about half an inch to the left of the middle of my Adam's apple.

Hi Crispy

Mine is absoloute centre in the indentation if your neck if you know what I mean, the bit that u can push far in. The more I think about it the more I keep swallowing, made the mistake of looking at google and pain directly after swallowing is one of the symptoms for esophegus cancer so I have gone into a right panic, especially as I only quit smoking 3 weeks ago :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Anxious View Post
    Hi Crispy

Mine is absoloute centre in the indentation if your neck if you know what I mean, the bit that u can push far in. The more I think about it the more I keep swallowing, made the mistake of looking at google and pain directly after swallowing is one of the symptoms for esophegus cancer so I have gone into a right panic, especially as I only quit smoking 3 weeks ago :(
    I know where you mean, mines a tad to the left of that and down a bit. Anyway, I've zero clue what yours could be as it took me 2 ENT visits and 4 cameras down nose/throat to be told that they think mine is swelling and inflammation of the mini tonsils (I don't know their official name lol) that are at the very base of your to tongue (deep in the middle of your throat). So yours could be a similar thing?

Yeah don't Google it! Easier said then done as I have health anxiety also and always get myself in a state too when I Google it! My googling also told me I have throat cancer! Dr Google always does

Hi there did you ever find what this was. These are the exact same symptoms I’m experiencing. Pain in esophagus when swallow certain foods like a scratch type feeling. I’ve been looking all over for people with same symptoms but couldn’t find until I came across this post.

I’d be grateful if you could update me on how it went or what it was?

Thanks

Thread Information